Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura1800
New Member!
Female 

25-10-2016, 04:13 PM

First time dog owner - large breed

I'm new here and wanted some opinions on our preferred dog breed.

We are looking to adopt our first dog, preferably an adult. Our preferred breed is an Anatolian Shepherd. We like this breed because of their natural disposition with other animals, larger size, medium coat length and livestock guardian instinct. We own 25 acres and will have a small flock on free range chickens this spring. We have a 3 year old son and 3 indoor cats. We'd like a dog that tends to be laid back with animals but alert.

The local rescues often require experience with large dogs or a similar breed to be considered for adoption. They often require a fenced yard - not possible with the size of our property. Do you feel that Anatolian Shepherds require only skilled handlers and fenced areas? We would absolutely attend beginner and intermediate dog training classes regardless of the dogs age and skill level. We believe that dog training classes are more about training the human than the dog.

Are these rescues being too strict or are we not fully understanding living with a large dog?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

The livestock guardian dogs (of which the Anatolian is one) tend to be very hardy, loyal to their owners and immediate family but naturally independent and wary of strangers. The Anatolian is still used as a working dog in his native Turkey.

As you are in the US, I think your first port of call should be the Anatolian Shepherd Dog Club of America.

http://www.asdca.org/
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-10-2016, 02:00 AM
Well I guess I'll be the buzz kill or Devil's advocate in this topic.

Most likely being in PA you looking at Foxes, Coons, or coyotes.

A adult Anatolian Shepherd is not what I would advise., maybe a young adult from a working line from a local farm, (Stay away from the Amish lines and breeders, there poorly breed and not health tested by them in your area).

Your better off raising a pup or young adult from working lines.

There is a decent breeder in the Portsmouth, Oh area (forget name, and stay away from any of the lines found around the Chillicothe, ohio area.

After 18 months your going to have your work cut out for you in the bonding with your family area, after 3 years I'd say skip the dog.

The right lines are a hard working breed, but it is important to have a family bond with them.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-10-2016, 02:40 AM
I have no experience with them but they are very large strong dogs. They are around 60kg, or the weight of some humans. I'm about 70kg. My dog is about 35kg. On the lead, he has the strength to pull me over.

I'm not suggesting that you don't get the dog of your choicce. Just that you ought to be aware, as a first time owner, of what you might need to consider.
Laura1800
New Member!
Female 

28-10-2016, 06:48 PM
Thank you for the info! We don't intend for our pup to be a flock protector. In the past we have not had issue with losing hens, even with no dog around. We simply would like a breed that is tolerant of birds. We will certainly consider a younger pup so we can facilitate that bond.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2016, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Laura1800 View Post
Thank you for the info! We don't intend for our pup to be a flock protector. In the past we have not had issue with losing hens, even with no dog around. We simply would like a breed that is tolerant of birds. We will certainly consider a younger pup so we can facilitate that bond.
Many dogs will be tolerant of birds if they are taught from a young age. My two German shepherds and my husband's gang of working collies have all been taught to leave our free range hens alone (as well as the sheep, ponies, alpacas, cows etc ).

brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2016, 05:42 AM
Love that pic. Reminds of when my mum had shepherds that rounded up the ducks at night for bedtime. You've got to love a shepherd.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2016, 08:26 AM
Lovely photo yet again Moobli! What stunning dogs those GSDs of your's are, simply stunning - a real credit to your obviously excellent dog husbandry and training skills.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Love that pic. Reminds of when my mum had shepherds that rounded up the ducks at night for bedtime. You've got to love a shepherd.
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Lovely photo yet again Moobli! What stunning dogs those GSDs of your's are, simply stunning - a real credit to your obviously excellent dog husbandry and training skills.
Thank you both
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2016, 08:06 PM
As I understand it, Anatolian Shepherds can be stubborn and have their own mind (as they would need to being flock guardians.) As stated before, these dogs are large and powerful and it would be best for you to get a young one or even a puppy. I do feel Anatolian Shepherds would require a fence or at least a yard with no contact with a road as they do tend to wander. Let us know what you decide.