Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaa
New Member!
Female 

25-10-2016, 06:42 AM

Law related to dog attacks ??

Hello all,
I am a dog lover, and I have 3 pets at home. I love them, and love spending time with them. I am also a social worker. Recently I heard about a case, where a kid was attacked by a dog, and the parents of the kid claimed compensation from the dog owner. This is the first time that I am hearing about something like this. I never knew about such law , where compensation could be claimed for dog attacks. I was just doing more research on this, and found this blog, http://www.monteithbaker.com/practic...y/dog-attacks/, which talks about the law that says that that the dog owner can be held liable for attack by it’s dogs. It is said that, if a dog bites or attacks a person, or another dog, the owner of the offending dog can be held liable for the damages resulting from the attack or bite. This is new information for me, so I thought of sharing here. Do you guys think about this law ??
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2016, 07:00 AM
I think owners/keepers must be held accountable.
I'm from UK so I suppose we have some different laws.
The Dangerous Dogs Act forbids certain breeds
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-10-2016, 08:41 AM
Of course the owner should be held accountable. It's the owners job to ensure their animal is safe in all situations, both for the animals sake and everyone else's.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2016, 09:24 AM
Absolutely! If my dog - whether accidentally or not - caused a third party injury, whether that third party be a human or an animal, or even someone else's property - I as the owner of the dog am entirely responsible for the dog and therefore am liable for any damage or injury he caused.

To me, this is just commonsense - and common decency.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2016, 10:09 AM
I think all dog owners should have third party insurance. If the circumstances conspired, even the mildest natured dog could be responsible for a incident such as a RTA, and the bill for damages could potentially be enormous. Though it would probably never be used, it costs so little to have peace of mind, in fact £1 million third party cover for your dogs is one benefit attached to being a member of the Dogs Trust.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2016, 10:45 AM
In UK, it is termed "strict liability".
Ah, you are in UK. So you would know.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2016, 10:48 AM
I joined Dogs Trust for just that reason Carole. I also think all dog owners should have some sort of third party insurance.

It is our job, as dog owners, to ensure our dogs are not a nuisance or a danger to other people and animals.

In the UK it’s against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control anywhere, such as:

in a public place
in a private place, eg a neighbour’s house or garden
in the owner’s home
The law applies to all dogs.

Some types of dogs are banned (eg Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, Fila Braziliero)

Out of control
Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:
injures someone
makes someone worried that it might injure them
A court could also decide that your dog is dangerously out of control if either of the following apply:

it attacks someone’s animal
the owner of an animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal
A farmer is allowed to kill your dog if it’s worrying their livestock.

Penalties
You can get an unlimited fine or be sent to prison for up to 6 months (or both) if your dog is dangerously out of control. You may not be allowed to own a dog in the future and your dog may be destroyed.

If you let your dog injure someone you can be sent to prison for up to 5 years or fined (or both). If you deliberately use your dog to injure someone you could be charged with ‘malicious wounding’.

If you allow your dog to kill someone you can be sent to prison for up to 14 years or get an unlimited fine (or both).

If you allow your dog to injure an assistance dog (eg a guide dog) you can be sent to prison for up to 3 years or fined (or both).