Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bubbles22
New Member!
Male 

09-07-2016, 06:07 PM

Dog Aggression and Shyness - Please Help

I will try to give as many details in a short paragraph.

We just moved to the next town over (10 mins away) a couple weeks ago.

I have an 8 month old goldendoodle named Bubbles

I got her when she was 10 weeks old

I work 8-5pm Mon-Fri

She is crated while at work and is let out at 12 or 1pm each day while working.

When I arrive home we play 30 mins. of fetch everyday

After fetch we go for a 2 mile walk in town every single day.

She is fed well and has plenty of toys.

She typically gets all my attention until about 8:30pm each night.

I try to keep the same and consistent routine.

When I first got her when she was 10 weeks old everything was great. Training seemed to go as planned and taking walks around town was a blast because she was always so friendly with everybody and anybody.

Before I moved she starting acting out quite a bit for some unknown reason.

When we will play fetch outside sometimes when I start to jog a little bit or as shes running back toward me she was bite me really hard.

For example if I just start running away from her in a fun game of chase she will chase me and jump and bite as hard as she can at the same time. (Frustrating as hell)

She never bites any other time unless we are outside running around.

The other problem and most important thing in my opinion is that she is super timid out in public.

Her tail is always down and when walking on the sidewalk and someone or a group of people start approaching she will pull back and almost ALWAYS try to jump into the middle of the street. This really pisses me off because this never happened in the past. She used to show off and want to get attention from all types of random strangers. Only a very select few sketchy people around town she would try to avoid. Now 100% of the time shes scared of anyone. I force her to chill out when I see on of my friends around.

I need some serious help here. No clue on how to approach any of these situations at all
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2016, 06:50 PM
She's a teenager, most dogs like kids act up as teenagers, I just step up the training and keep them occupied. You say training seemed to go as planned, has it stopped? training should be ongoing, it builds confidence. Also I don't think a two mile walk around town is enough exercise for a dog so I'd increase that and mix it up. I used to have a dog that bit my butt if I ran off, they like to keep their pack together and she's telling you to stop, whereas you should be telling her to stop it, leave it, pack it in or plain no.
I think your dog needs more training tbh and needs you to chill cos getting pissed off is no frame of mind in which to train a dog, try to keep it fun and varied.
Bubbles22
New Member!
Male 

09-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
She's a teenager, most dogs like kids act up as teenagers, I just step up the training and keep them occupied. You say training seemed to go as planned, has it stopped? training should be ongoing, it builds confidence. Also I don't think a two mile walk around town is enough exercise for a dog so I'd increase that and mix it up. I used to have a dog that bit my butt if I ran off, they like to keep their pack together and she's telling you to stop, whereas you should be telling her to stop it, leave it, pack it in or plain no.
I think your dog needs more training tbh and needs you to chill cos getting pissed off is no frame of mind in which to train a dog, try to keep it fun and varied.
Yea i understand.

Any thoughts with her being so shy around people?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2016, 07:34 PM
Again you just have to make it fun, get her used to people by persuading friends etc to interact with her, get them to wear hats, high viz, open umbrellas etc etc reward her when she reacts well. I find talking to my dogs in a soft voice just while ambling along gives them confidence. Try not to go into town or walk in really busy areas, get her used to people one at a time and at a distance if necessary, try not to overwhelm her with crowds etc. that can come later. You'll just have to treat her like a young puppy again introducing her to everything as if for the first time.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2016, 11:15 PM
She's in the middle of her second fear period. It's well documented. It's not uncommon for dogs to want to 'flee' during this period when things (that they've previously been OK with) worry them.

Try to stay calm and train her through it just as you would with a tiny puppy. Encourage her, but respect that she is worried by the situation. Introduce her again gradually and positively to the things that are now worrying her.