Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-10-2015, 12:45 AM

Proud and Sad Day

Wife's birthday today and around 10:30am she had a stroke losing the use of her right arm and leg, causing her to fall off the couch.
Mouse rushed over to her and stood over her, using her working leg and good hand she drug herself from the front room to the kitchen gripping Mouses neck and fur.
Each time she drug herself forward a bit he stepped forward. Once she made it into the kitchen, she used Mouse to prop herself up and then used him to get up on 1 foot to get to the phone and speed dial a friend who came over and called the squad for her.

After she made the call she slid back to the floor with Mouse standing guard over her.

Once JoAnn got to the house Mouse met her at the door and ran back to trish.
He stayed standing over her until the squad got the and then when Trish told him outside he went out and JoAnn lock the dog door.

Super proud of Mouse. Though he is off the hook whining, super patrol dog, and has ate twice his normal supper for the first time ever had to put up his food bowl. Also every 5 mins stands up on the couch looking out the window, you can tell his he stressed out his mind.

Sadly the wife is not doing as well, when she left it was just her right arm and leg, after first round of testing her speach was slurry, and when I left at 6:40pm she could not work a phone to dial out, (they took her for more tests), when I called at 720ish she answered and told me the lab people where there so she could not talk.
(There saying the issue has to do with the stroke being caused by her Lupus)
Hopefully will know more tomorrow.

This to me shows how much our pooches love us and the importance of training them well.

Or it could be I'm writing this because I'm just as stressed as Mouse, and am sitting here avoiding loosing my mind.

Though I can say no one is using a Chi to drag themself or climb up supporting there weight on a purse dog.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2015, 01:46 AM
Oh I can't even begin to know what to say. My hubby has had a few close calls and I was shaking into the night. I don't know the answer, if you have some good family or a friend you can debrief with. Talking about it, writing about it. Finding someone you can get a great big hug from can work wonders. Really I've always been the strong silent type but in crisis...hugs beat vodka any day. <<<hugs, purrs and good karma to you and the missus>>>

And a great big special hug to Mouse.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Very best wishes for your wife's recovery.
suec
New Member!
Female 

21-10-2015, 09:29 AM
thinking of you and your family hope she is a little better today
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-10-2015, 09:37 AM
Thinking of you both this morning, and I am proud of Mouse as well, what a beautiful loving boy you have there and I hope she gets there. My ex had a stroke a few years ago and came through it well and was back at work a few months later, and hoping and willing your wife is the same.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Sorry to read this Lmost. Good wishes for your wife's recovery, and a big hug for Mouse for proving to be a natural assistance dog.
I hope all is well, hospitals are really on the ball with strokes these days; my husband had a short stroke episode about 8 years ago, but with medication and a few lifestyle changes, he's been OK since, (touch wood).
As Leslie says, use your friends to offload your anxieties, and relay everyone's good wishes to her.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Hey well done Mouse, and good luck to your wife too, I'm a survivor of two strokes caused by antiphospholid syndrome, not too dissimilar to Lupus. I had both strokes before they discovered my antiphospholipid syndrome. No one ever thinks I've had a stroke though, although my speech wasn't affected I had left side weakness and still do but I hide it well, I also suffer from foot drop on the left side but honestly no one but me, my family and doctors would know. It's possible to recover and although you and her will know it's not a complete recovery it can be good enough. With me Syd my male Dobermann put himself in the position of assistance dog. When he saw me try to get off the sofa he would come next to me, plant himself firmly and I'd steady myself holding on to his collar. Funny how dogs just know when you need them. I lost Syd to bone cancer but your comment about a Chi made me smile because it was Tucson my Pug who stepped up next, obviously not physically but she watched over me like you wouldn't believe and gave me the giggles with her attempts to help me. All I would say is try to get her doing as much as she can as soon as possible, time is of the essence in recovery from stroke. My ex kept telling me to rest but my instinct was to get back to normal asap and I was recently told by the stroke unit I'd done a far better job of rehabilitating myself than they could have done. I hope it helps to know others have fought and won and I wish her all the best in her recovery. Hugs to you too as it's not easy to stand helplessly by.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Good for Mouse and for your wife using her intelligence and getting help. This reminds me of the night my dad came home and blacked out, falling down at the base of the driveway. He is a stroke victim too and something just severely upset his balance (he's not a drinker but we believe alcohol may have been involved). Nobody noticed that his car was there, but he had not come to his room.

Apparently Nigredo noticed. He went outside at his own request and began growling at the base of the driveway. I went and got a weapon because he was growling, and went over and found my dad unconscious at the base of the driveway. Brother and I were able to rouse him, but he was making no sense when he spoke so we did end up calling the ambulance.

It was very cold that night and I had a broken foot at the time. My dad could have been out there for many hours before we noticed he hadn't come inside and gone to sleep yet if it weren't for Nigredo. He had only been out around 30 minutes thankfully and he had only a mild concussion caused by his head striking the cement upon falling because he was unable to catch himself when he fell, due to high blood pressure causing him to black out combined with what we believe to be some alcohol.

I'm glad Mouse was there to help your wife. Stroke is of course very serious and needs treatment ASAP if there is any chance of recovery. I hope she recovers. I have a large dog too, not as large as Mousey boy... but they are my favorites, though of course I've heard of heroic things done by small breeds too.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Well done Mouse and well done to your wife for having the sense to let him help her.

Thoughts and best wishes are with you all together with positive vibes for your wife's full recovery. xx
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2015, 06:40 PM
sending good wishes to your wife and to you too and huge well done to Mouse...what a hero
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >