Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2015, 12:21 AM

Nigredo isn't feeling well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3YQxZd1kXw

My big Gray isn't himself... he's listless and his mouth is bothering him. There's also a pretty sudden putrid smell to his breath. He was like this a little when we got home from the park this morning and he got worse as the day progressed.

He didn't even want to eat... poor guy. I'm going to give him a day and then we will be in to see the vet. Wish us luck, mostly him. This isn't Nigredo so there's something certainly wrong.

Sorry for the mess...
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2015, 06:04 AM
Sorry to hear this . Poor boy.
Is he drinking water? make sure he doesn't get dehydrated.
Alison
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Thanks. He's not doing a ton of anything but I think I know why now. I found out from my mother while we were trying to think of why he wasn't feeling well... that a water main break yesterday morning caused a boil water alert for our entire city. Great timing...

Contaminants in the water needed to be boiled out before the water is consumed. I gave Nigredo "fresh" water from the hose after our walk without knowing this, and I think it made him sick. I wish she had TOLD ME. We don't drink from the tap here, so I guess it slipped her mind. His breath smells a tad better now and he ate a bit of food.

I'm only glad none of our other pets were sickened by this. I think he should be okay with time. If he seems to have gotten better tomorrow, then I'll probably skip the vet. I can do without a bill if I don't absolutely have to. The water is fine now, so hopefully all will be well.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2015, 04:55 PM
OMG Myra I have only just seen this
I hope he is feeling better now, he really does look poorly.
Gentle hugs from here.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Oh Myra, I have only just noticed this. That is terrible I do hope he is going to be okay. Can you update us please.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2015, 06:42 PM
Thanks Moyra and Nippy. Unfortunately, Nigredo doesn't seem as if he's feeling much better. I was optimistic because he ate a little and his breath smells better, but he's still very mopey. I'm probably going to have to take him to the vet tomorrow. Really did not want to, but if he keeps laying around sick, have nothing choice.

He's been laying around and he's barely moving and he won't really react to my voice and the only touch he reacts to is to get me away from his mouth, which for some reason he doesn't want me touching. Ah, I feel bad for him and I have no idea what's wrong.

My poor fella...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-07-2015, 06:46 PM
He may of broken a tooth or possibly have got something stuck.
Sounds like it will be a vet visit even though not convenient at this time, or maybe as you say its the water but it seems odd he doesn't want you touching his mouth so I would hazard a guess something is going on in there especially if he is not eating or drinking much.

Hope you can get to the bottom of it and he is feeling better soon.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the support, Lynn. Yes, the sudden terrible breath is really odd. There's nothing wrong with his teeth normally. He's been wiping at his face and shaking his head. He's also been smelling the areas where his face was, because it like stinks... the smell is bothering him too. I really wonder what's wrong with him.

I got a look inside his mouth and I couldn't see anything that might be abnormal. I'm going to catch a LOT of crap trying to get us a ride to the vet, which is why I was so hoping we'd not have to go
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-07-2015, 07:31 PM
I know its going to be awkward for you and cost money which may or may not be hard to find but the more you describe what he is doing it does sound like it needs vet intervention. If he is wiping at it something is irritating him.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2015, 07:37 PM
If he was merely wiping at his face and shaking his head a bit, I'd give it more time. I'm more worried because he's so lethargic. Nigredo is an alert and responsive dog usually, and yet he will barely move or react. I shook his limbs and called his name repeatedly and he didn't even lift his head. THAT is what has me worried, also he piddled at his food...again absolutely unlike him.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >