Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-07-2015, 05:01 PM

Probiotics for dogs

Do you give your dog/s probiotics? If so which ones, how often and do they take them willingly
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2015, 05:18 PM
I gave Pepsi live yogurt for a while to see it it would help her funny tummy, it didn't so I stopped giving it to her!
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-07-2015, 05:47 PM
Mine have a dollop of natural yoghourt or kefir on their evening meal, and when I can find it Bryndza which is a goat's cheese from Slovakia. Georgina at two years old has never had a runny tummy and neither has Gwylim in the 10 months since he's lived with us.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Used to give the gray probiotics... but kinda found them worthless so stopped. They simply aren't necessary.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2015, 08:13 AM
Never had a dog with a dodgy tummy tbh so don't see the need. They do get natural yoghurt as part of their food but tbh don't have that very often either.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Most dogs will not have excessive tummy trouble if you don't go feeding them all kinds of garbage. IMO... probiotics are kind of one of those scammy products that aren't usually necessary unless you're putting the ABSOLUTE wrong stuff in you to begin with. And in that case, the probiotics may help you digest it better, but it won't make you any healthier. Just kind of totally worthless IMO.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-07-2015, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone

Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Most dogs will not have excessive tummy trouble if you don't go feeding them all kinds of garbage. IMO... probiotics are kind of one of those scammy products that aren't usually necessary unless you're putting the ABSOLUTE wrong stuff in you to begin with. And in that case, the probiotics may help you digest it better, but it won't make you any healthier. Just kind of totally worthless IMO.
Look in to more Myra.

90% of the cells in your body are not human - but of micro-organisms. Together they form your microbiome. Without them you'd quite simply die.

Science of the microbiome is an emerging field. Ancient diets were high in natural probiotics - nowadays they are defunct.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2015, 08:12 PM
I was kind of talking about dogs. Moreover, I agreed that probiotics can aid a diet of garbage. I stand by my statement. Additional probiotics like Forti-Flora and all that are kind of just a scam to me. Dogs shouldn't need them, and if they do... you're probably not feeding the dog right or he's just not healthy.
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2015, 08:00 AM
I was also wondering if probiotics may be helpful for
Toffee's recovery from her operation? I wouldn't want
to use them routinely, but I thought at times of extreme
stress they would help things to get back to normal a bit
quicker. I've given Avipro powder to my guinea pigs a few
times for that reason & its definitely helped.