View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
suzey11
New Member!
Female 

18-05-2015, 10:26 PM

15 year old small terrier with mammary tumour, should she have it operated on?

Hi, our 15 year old jack russel x has a mammary tumour which doubled in size in 6 months. it is now grape size. The vet suggests we remove the lump. I am not sure that I want to put my old girl through an operation at her age but I am worried that the tumour will ulcerate if she doesn't have the op. She had problems with her liver and pancreas 12 months ago. She is also deaf with cloudy eyes. I would like to hear other peoples opinions on this matter please.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2015, 08:01 AM
Is she spayed? If not the chances are she will get more so for me at her age Id leave her be as long as she is comfortable. My friends boxer x has a number of lumps which started about 2 years ago (think she must be about 10 at least now) and she was even going off her back legs. I went with her to the vets and the vet basically said have some time with her then get her put down gave her antibiotics 'in case it was an infection'. 2 years on that dog is still mad as a hatter, her back end is improved no end she still has the occasional wobble and her boobs are still lumpy but seeing her then to now is nothing short of miraculous.

As long as she isnt in pain then just enjoy her
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2015, 08:18 AM
My beagle is 14 now. he is healthy but had some inflammation in his pancreas a few years ago and his is almost totally blind.

He has several non malignant lumps spread about his body.

When the first appeared 3 years ago I had it removed but more appeared and my vet said as long as they were all non malignant there was little point in operating.
The risks of the surgery outweigh the health benefit if any that surgery would provide.

So as long as his isnt in pain I will leave the lumps..He enjoys life and thats what matters.
Jas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-05-2015, 08:20 AM
It's very difficult and nobody can say for sure what is the right course of action to take as it's impossible to know how the operation would affect her. Go with what you feel. Good luck whatever you choose x
suzey11
New Member!
Female 

19-05-2015, 08:55 AM
Hi, thank you for your replies. It is such a hard decision to make. I always said that I wouldn't put my girl through any op as she got older and let her go, but when we are actually faced with the dilema it isn't easy. The vet said that she sees breeds similar to my girl that can go on to 18 or 19 so it then makes me think that I am doing the wrong thing.
The op would just be the tumour and not the mammary strip so I am concerned that even if we go ahead that the tumour will come back. I know this is a dilema for so many owners. If only we could see the future through a crystal ball!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2015, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by suzey11 View Post
Hi, thank you for your replies. It is such a hard decision to make. I always said that I wouldn't put my girl through any op as she got older and let her go, but when we are actually faced with the dilema it isn't easy. The vet said that she sees breeds similar to my girl that can go on to 18 or 19 so it then makes me think that I am doing the wrong thing.
The op would just be the tumour and not the mammary strip so I am concerned that even if we go ahead that the tumour will come back. I know this is a dilema for so many owners. If only we could see the future through a crystal ball!
I would firstly speak to your vet to find out the extent of the tumor, and if they think its malignant or benign , do they have any thoughts on that . the trouble with the surgery it can be very invasive, depending on the amount of margins they need to take away, and then there is a chance t has already spread if its malignant . You know your dog and what you think she is capable of coping with, but at her age and the other health issues s he has I think if it was me, I would leave her be, and accept what will be will be, shes had a good long life, she could have a lot longer, but that something you have to decide,

Speak first to your vet , it might help you make the decision, remember what ever decision you make it will be the right one for her.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Hello Suzey and welcome have you had a biopsy to determine the nature of the lump, that would be my first step.
If the lump is slow growing and benign it should not cause any big problems. I am afraid if it is malignant (particularly if it is fast growing) and likely to spread to other areas of the body removal is often the only option.

That said there have been some advances in chemotherapy over the recent years.
You really do need to know what you are dealing with before making a decision what to do.