Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2015, 09:30 AM

Megaoesophagus/praa

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with this in a puppy to adult age that could offer my any support?

She has had surgery for persistent right aortic arch which was successful however still has mega e. Bet has told me she may never recover. Pup is 7 weeks and had surgery at 4.5 weeks.

Has anyone any experiences of this?

Thanks
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2015, 09:58 AM
I dont know abouit the paa but from what i gather the mega e has to be very carefully managed and isnt something that fixes itself. Feeding has to be very carefully monitored and i beleive someone created a 'high chair' for feeding their mega dog

not much help sorry, poor pupster x
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2015, 10:00 AM
http://www.caninemegaesophagus.org/

bailey chair is what i was referring to
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Hi, thank you very much for the link. At the moment she is small enough to hold up but if she grows then I will proberbly need a chair of some description.

She is a very happy puppy otherwise, except being small for her age.

My vet hopes she will 'grow out' of the megaoesophagus now that the problem has been rectified however there could also be permanant damage so it's a waiting game really, it's just difficult as I don't know of anyone else who has had this problem so don't know what's expect!

Thanks again
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2015, 10:52 AM
i did a quick google of PRAA i figured it was something heart related but wow poor pup!

I guess its a good thing that they found it so early and acted straight away. Youve got a good vet there!

Fingers crossed that it will all grow out and sort it self now the restriction is removed xx

Good luck!
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2015, 12:42 PM
It has been a long few weeks but she did pull through the surgery really well and has been determined ever since.
The breeder wanted her PTS due to cost of surgery hence I now have her and just hope she can live a normal life.

Other than slight regurgitation (perhaps once daily if she is playing too much) you would not know there was anything wrong with her.

Fingers crossed!