Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-12-2014, 02:59 PM

Dog Diapers

Not sure if you will remember, but my Basset boy Hank is impossible to house train. He will go through short spells where he won't pee in the house, then goes back to his usual routine in peeing at night. Crate training never worked for him.

When I lost my little old guy Peluche in November, the peeing stopped. I was so sad in loosing Peluche but so relieved at the same time that Hank decided to not mess in the house anymore.

Then a terrible tragedy happened and we suddenly lost our big boy Lincoln about 2-3 weeks ago. The peeing has started again and I don't know what to do.

I have bought a bunch of dog diapers but he is so long and well endowed that it doesn't reach to cover him completely, even the larger sized ones.

Does anyone have experience with the belly bands? They just look like they will shift around during movement, especially on a Basset body structure, or does anyone know where I can buy washable diapers for long dogs, as I would much prefer to use the female style for him to keep it on? I'm so tired of so many years of cleaning up pee in the house....sigh...
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-12-2014, 07:02 PM
I've used a belly band on Teddy the Pug intermittantly, He doesn't pee overnight but is a marker. I won't allow it hence the belly band. They fit quite snuggly with velcro and his does come off sometimes but only when he's playing rough with Diesel. He's so used to it I just show it to him and he comes over to have it put on. I bought him the wider fit.
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-12-2014, 08:28 PM
We got a doggie nappy on the Internet for our GSD she wasn't much bigger then a collie and u could wash it as offen as u wanted. But if u ask your vet I. Sure there no where to get the best sort for your dog.
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Oh under here why u write your replys ,there a ad for the ultimate dog diapers tinkletrousers.com
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Bassets can be notoriously hard to house train or indeed train at all. Is Hank the only dog in the house or does he have company? When we lost our old girl earlier this year, Charlie our basset, did remarkably well, but we decided to get another pup to keep him company. Bassets are incredibly sociable dogs and don't enjoy being on their own. Is the peeing down to stress with him or is it the fact he had never mastered housetraining? I know they can be frustrating, but hang in there! It may be a temporary thing, whilst he is grieving and may settle down again.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-12-2014, 03:15 AM
Originally Posted by Jakesmummy View Post
We got a doggie nappy on the Internet for our GSD she wasn't much bigger then a collie and u could wash it as offen as u wanted. But if u ask your vet I. Sure there no where to get the best sort for your dog.
What is a doggy nappy? Never heard of it.

Originally Posted by Jakesmummy View Post
Oh under here why u write your replys ,there a ad for the ultimate dog diapers tinkletrousers.com
Cool, thank you.

Originally Posted by Tommyboy View Post
Bassets can be notoriously hard to house train or indeed train at all. Is Hank the only dog in the house or does he have company? When we lost our old girl earlier this year, Charlie our basset, did remarkably well, but we decided to get another pup to keep him company. Bassets are incredibly sociable dogs and don't enjoy being on their own. Is the peeing down to stress with him or is it the fact he had never mastered housetraining? I know they can be frustrating, but hang in there! It may be a temporary thing, whilst he is grieving and may settle down again.
Hank has many dog-brothers as I have 4 dogs total now instead of the 6.
Hank plays a lot with Timber so he's never alone here, always either me or the other dogs are with him. I have had Hank since he was 2, he's 8 now and I've been dealing with this since the beginning....I love him to pieces but so tired.
Izzythesprocker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-12-2014, 07:53 AM
A nappy is the British word for diaper.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-12-2014, 08:04 AM
I'm not sure whether it would work on a Basset but when my Peigirls were in season they always wore a disposable baby nappy (diaper) which you can buy in several different sizes.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Oops sorry, I didn't know what it was.

I tried the disposable ones, wasn't long enough.
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Hehe sorry I didn't think about saying nappy .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >