Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2014, 04:24 PM

Strangest question you've ever had...

Regarding raw or BARF feeding?

I was explaining the concept to someone the other day and they turned around and asked me " Won't that wake up the predator in the dog if they get all this raw meat? Won't they become aggressive? "

Think she was worried the dogs would decide their owners looked tasty if their were reminded how good raw meat tasted

Have you ever had any strange questions regarding this?
I appreciate it's still fairly uncommon and there is a lot of controversy around it, so it's only natural for people to have questions and concerns.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-11-2014, 04:54 PM
People actually believe this you know, I've heard it so very many times. Best one I had was from a vet nurse she asked how they got their vitamins if they were raw fed, doh......... that was the sum total of her knowledge of nutrition and feeding, if it didn't come out of a factory in a bag then it was no good
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2014, 06:37 PM
I don't raw feed but I do believe it's more natural for a dog.poor jakes tummy just won't handle most things. That's the prob with breeding pure breeds I guess ,
But he does get roast chicken veg and rice and trukey . Anyone know of a good vitiman in a tube I can mix with his food. I seen a lot on the net but not sure what's good and what rubbish.
I want him off man made food soon as I no there something my dad used to work with which is a nasty insecterside .cant believe they stick this crap in our poor dogs feed. I bet I spelt insecterside wrong to .
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-11-2014, 11:19 PM
I had one half-wit at a big lurcher show tell me that raw meat gave them "meat madness" and led to fighting and a whole manifest of other strange goings on. Compared to my dogs his poor creatures didn't look as if they'd have the strength to fight even if they'd wanted to, let alone perform the function for which they were supposedly bred. He proudly boasted to anyone who was within earshot that his were fed on Vitalin and slops (God knows what they are). Felt like strangling the fool - but for once common sense prevailed.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-11-2014, 11:24 PM
Jakesmummy - You could try Super Solvitax which is basically a fortified cod liver oil. Fabulous for coat and general fitness. If new to it - being an oil I would add it very gradually to his food. Starting at just a few drops and building up to the recommended dose after a fortnight or so, so as not to upset his tummy with something new and rich. Well worth trying.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-11-2014, 10:47 AM
My grandfather who owned a Lab gun dog and a Staffie would never give them raw meat because he said it made dogs smell.

My two are fed a home cooked diet but they are also given raw chicken wings, feet or necks as snacks, several times a week.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Its commercial food makes them smell, mine don't smell in the least 'doggy' or have bad breath. Commercial food contains things (lots of them) that the dogs digestive system cannot process,it gets stored under the skin and ferments, hence the 'cheesy' smell you'll get, eugh...
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
My grandfather who owned a Lab gun dog and a Staffie would never give them raw meat because he said it made dogs smell.

My two are fed a home cooked diet but they are also given raw chicken wings, feet or necks as snacks, several times a week.
I wish I could get hold of chicken feet again, and not just for Pereg but for soup for myself. Unfortunately they are no longer available although I have no idea why not.

And Pereg definitely does not smell even though at nearly 6 years old she has never had a bath. Well, I do not have a bathtub and could not put her in it even if I had one, and I do not fancy trying to fight her in the shower if she decides to do a runner out of it! She does get wiped down with adult wipes [like baby wipes but much much bigger] regularly though.

As for her breath - it is as sweet as a baby's breath!
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Thanks Gordon Mac il try that.
If dogs went mad through eating raw meat pray tell me why wolf packs don't eat each other ?
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I wish I could get hold of chicken feet again, and not just for Pereg but for soup for myself. Unfortunately they are no longer available although I have no idea why not.

And Pereg definitely does not smell even though at nearly 6 years old she has never had a bath. Well, I do not have a bathtub and could not put her in it even if I had one, and I do not fancy trying to fight her in the shower if she decides to do a runner out of it! She does get wiped down with adult wipes [like baby wipes but much much bigger] regularly though.

As for her breath - it is as sweet as a baby's breath!
Malka ... I've just looked online and there are several companies in Israel that supply frozen chicken feet.

There's ... Shefa Food G O (2000) Ltd who are in Burgata

And .... Shay & Israel Amrusi Ltd.

They both have email addresses
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >