Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-09-2014, 08:14 PM

New job, new arrangements for Marley ?

I have been laid off on the farm sadly and have an interview for a new job Friday,
Marley wouldn't be allowed in the building as it is a factory but the boss has said he would be happy for Marley to come and stay in the car if that was an option for me, I would be parked round the back out of sight of the public and would sit with him/ walk him on breaks. My day would be 8 till 5 so he would have a 30-45 min walk before hand and an hour or so straight after plus a short one at lunch.
Would anybody consider this option ? The other option is home alone nearly 10 hours a day.
By the way Marley is perfectly happy left in the car
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Have you thought how you would deal with the heat in Summer, and the cold in Winter? Perhaps take this job for now, but carry on looking for something that fits better with Marley.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-09-2014, 01:07 AM
Not a good idea leaving a dog in a car for a long time something I would not recommend
buglysprince
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2014, 03:25 PM
No this is definetly not something I would consider, could you not ask a neighbour or friend to pop in at lunch time and take marley for a walk or look into a dog walker.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2014, 04:01 PM
Or day care?

I have had Ima here on site with me in the car BUT I can leave every door and window open, I can move my vehicle to keep her in the shade, I can see her from my window, I can pop out within seconds if she looks bothered. I have a little thing that hangs from the window to tell me the temp. Everyone on site knows her, she even has a little pal that she can play with on breaks, which again are when I want them.

If I couldn't do all that there is no way I would consider leaving her out there, only takes 20 mins on a hot day to cook them
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Is there such a thing as a dog friendly extension to your car? If there isn't I'm going to invent one You know what I mean,like an outside run of sorts maybe I'm from another planet
Good luck with the Interview and hopefully things will work out well for Marley too
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-09-2014, 04:15 PM
I would say if you are able to move the car regularly to keep out of the sun, leave the boot open with guard and generally keep a good eye out AND think he would be happier with this than being at home you could consider it, keeping warm is another thing but easier to handle. Feel for you as it is not an easy situation to be in
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Lock in a car for 8 hrs basicly. even with the breaks would most likely cause issues with boredom.

I would highly advise looking for a little help and leaving your pooch at home.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-09-2014, 11:00 PM
The trouble is I can't really afford doggy day care/ dog walker me and my girlfriend struggled before even if I get this job extra expense will not be good news at all,
And if he was left at home alone he would bark and howl, from the moment we left till when I got back,
Loosing this job had caused serious issues
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Is there such a thing as a dog friendly extension to your car? If there isn't I'm going to invent one You know what I mean,like an outside run of sorts maybe I'm from another planet
Good luck with the Interview and hopefully things will work out well for Marley too
Same planet as me then!!!

That would be a solution of sorts for hot weather and a warm dog coat for when its colder?

Good luck - I managed to find an old person near the job that was happy for the companionship of a dog and I didn't pay her much. Maybe a partly disabled person that cannot have a dog any more, but who has a secure garden would be interested in an arrangement for "pin money"?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >