Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2014, 07:19 AM

House Training - Getting Desperate!

We have had Meg for over a year. She is an ex racing Trailhound who has previously lived in kennels. As such, she is used to pooing and weeing where she sleeps. It just doesn't bother her. She is not incontinent. She gets up and walks about two foot away from where she is sat, goes, then returns to her place. We obviously limit what access she has around the house. We praise her like mad when she goes outside, but she doesn't like to go when anyone is around so will NOT poo when she is on the lead. She is not crated which could be the next step but I am loathe to spend a lot of money on a large crate for her to still "go" in it. We have another dog who has no such problems. Advice would be gratefully received. Someone else must have had similar problems..... please?
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Hi Edwina,

This is so frustrating isn't it?
I would be very surprised if Meg used a crate to toilet if you were to use one.
Having worked in kennels I know some dogs can be dirty but usually when they've a bit more space than they would have in a crate.
I think if it were me, I'd have a look for a 2nd hand crate and give it a try.
As soon as you let her out of the crate take her straight outside and continue the praise when she performs.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-08-2014, 10:48 AM
It seems to me she's simply not learned how to live in a house yet. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a crate if she's not previously been crate trained. And if you do decide to go with a crate, make sure you take your time to make it a really good experience for her. Not all dogs like or feel safe in confined spaces, especially if they didn't learn it as a puppy!
I'm wondering if she might have got told off a few times for going in the wrong place at the kennels. Sometimes when dogs are told off for weeing or pooing where people don't want them to, they associate doing their business in the presence of people with being told off. That could be the reason why she won't go when you're there.
I'd go right back to puppy stages and go out with her in the garden very frequently but keep your distance. If you can, I'd let her into the garden on her own so she can do her business in peace. When she does it, gently approach her and praise, maybe give a treat. If she does it inside, simply ignore it and clean it up with enzyme breaking cleaner (biological washing powder does the trick, or special cleaners from the pet shot. Avoid bleach and ammonia containing products).
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Have you tried putting up a 'privacy' barrier for her in the garden - somewhere she can go behind and out of sight to toilet?

If you can work something like this you may find it helps. If she needs to be on a lead in the garden, you could try a longer line so that she can go in her 'private' spot without being seen
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-08-2014, 04:18 PM
I would try the method Chris has suggested first.

Some dogs simply don't like being watched whilst they wee or poo. Neither M'boi my first Shar-Pei, nor Georgina my present Pei, would poo if they thought I was watching. M'boi would only pee in one area far away from the house and if she wanted a poo she'd go right up to the top of the land and do it hidden under a bush. Georgie's not quite as particular but still has only one place where she'll wee or poo and if she thinks I'm watching her she'll wander around until she thinks I'm out of sight! It's nothing they've learnt or been trained to do .... it's just the way they are!
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2014, 04:37 PM
I am willing to try these things but how do I train her to go outside to her private place? I can't always praise her when she goes because I hardly ever know when she's done it outside. It's not as if she wanders around inside sniffing like me other dog which gives me a clue that she needs to go, Meg just wanders behind a chair and goes, or goes in the middle of the floor in the night.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm afraid the only way is to train yourself to watch her. You've said she wanders behind a chair? When she heads anywhere near that chair - outside she goes. When she's slept, eaten, had a drink, played and plenty of times in between, get her out.

It's back to puppy toilet training - it's a pain, but it's the only way.

Of course, praise her if you do see her go in the appropriate place, but, even if you can't, she'll latch on the the habit once you've got her started.

Good luck with her x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Hello Edwina I would forget you have an adult dog and return to basic puppy training.
This means taking Meg out frequently, once an hour to start with armed with some high value treats like chicken pieces .
Go for a walk to a placed where other dogs have been if you can, their scent should help to stimulate Meg to 'go' and when she does treat with the chicken and give lots of praise so that going will become a rewarding experience.
Once she has done this a couple of times she should get the idea.
If you can build up her confidence that it is 'safe' to go when you are around Meg may progress to pooing in your presence.

Meg needs to be restricted to one room as much as possible until she is clean and the previously soiled areas need to be thoroughly cleaned to remove every trace of scent. Using vinegar or biological washing powder may help but nothing that is ammonia based.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2014, 07:04 PM
I would put some of her poo where I'd want her to go. Also a piece of paper towel soaked in her wee. I would even take small quantities of the above on a walk. So the place you want her to go smells of 'I've been here before'.
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Thank you for all your suggestions. I have just been on holiday for a week to a cottage with wooden or stone floors and the only place she wee'd was on the door mat! So we put training pads down there and during the night that is where she went. She did not poo once indoors. So obviously, surface matters.

Also, do some dogs have smaller bladders? She does go every night, even though we take her out at 10 pm and let her out at 7 am. Is 9 hours during the night too much to expect?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >