View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-06-2014, 05:32 PM

Thought this may be of interest. Article on bloat.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...oat-naturally/
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Its what I have always thought as regards feeding Lynn, very interesting to see a vet has come to the same conclusions, also interesting about the connection he has made between back problems and the propensity for bloat.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Like you I always feel feeding plays a part but then again I know people who feed kibble and it hasn't affected them. Dillon's breeder believes stress is a big part and Ollie's breeder felt genetics were a strong possibility.
I do feed raw for one of those reasons I do worry about the kibble and the way it swells if you leave it in water and what is it doing to their insides.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-06-2014, 06:26 PM
My girls have their main meal in the morning and I leave nearly 3 hours between that and their outings, sometimes even longer. I think that helps as well.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-06-2014, 07:06 AM
Very interesting article Lynn, thanks for posting.
I wasn't even aware of the 'bloat' condition with my previous GSD's in the 70's and 80's, never mentioned by my vets of the time. it was only a chance conversation with someone at puppy club a couple of years ago that I first heard of it. I guess the internet has had a dramatic effect on educating us all.

I think this is an area of ongoing research, the prevention recommendations seem to change as new theories are expounded. After that conversation I had 2 years ago I raised Kodi's feed and water bowls off the floor only to hear that this is now frowned upon by vets. Doh!

I adhere to a regime of smaller more frequent meals and I take the view that as I wouldn't go out running after a meal, so I wouldn't impose that on my dog. He gets his first meal of soaked kibble at 6.30am and we go to the forest around 9.30 to 10am, and in the heat we are currently enjoying we just walk along the trail most of the time.

Interesting that the article also mentions that dogs are designed for small bursts of speed, then rest. How does this stack up against people who ride their bike for miles with the poor dog running along behind? That really worries me. It's not a natural way for a dog to excercise and seems more to do with lazy or misguided owners, what do you think?

Re. Spinal problems. The article suggests that a back injury is a predisposition to bloat. I wonder whether the issues he sees in a dog's back is more to do with a genetic condition than an injury. More research needed here I think.

He also recommends "If you want to prevent stomach bloat, you definitely have to pay attention to your dog’s spine. A regular monthly assessment and treatment of your large dog’s spine is one of the most important factors in GDV prevention".
Now, on Kodi's yearly check ups my vet has never even mentioned that he might be susceptible to bloat, let alone suggested a monthly examination for back problems.
More research needed.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-06-2014, 07:25 AM
I thought it was interesting and worth posting.
I lost my Aussie shepX Rottie 12 years this year big dog deep chested never knew bloat existed in dogs knew about it in horses (colic) but that was the wealth of my experience and as you say vets didn't seem to mention it.
Ollie was always fed from raised bowls as is Dillon I feel its better for their neck apart from anything else. I think there will always be controversy over this. I think for me its about comfort as well as the possible bloat issues for big dogs.
I was aware of the sprint then rest owning a Bernese that is what they do expel their energy in the first 10 mins then rest then off they go again. So believed that to be the case with big breeds especially lumbering breeds.

Had never heard of the spine debate either and again like you not something ever mentioned to me by a vet. Maybe that's a new idea they are looking at.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Here are two more articles on Bloat and GVD which might be of interest:

ARTICLE I

ARTICLE II