Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2014, 06:54 AM

Claw issues... Any ideas please

Tonks has fractured two claws previously and had to have both operated on. Now she seems to have split a claw and the quick looks to be squeezing out. I gave her a wks rest and then on lead walks, but there's no improvement. She only limps occasionally, once twice a week, but does want to lick it a lot.

Any ideas to improve healing for this claw...and how to strengthen her claws?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2014, 06:56 AM
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Oooh that looks painful Dillon hurt his claw the other week and would not stop licking it.
He had piriton ocassionally to stop the aggravation which made him leave it alone too so it had some to heal arnica pilules to work from inside and oregano oil from capsules squeezed into his food as a natural anti biotic along with collodial silver spray sprayed on the paw to heal from the outside also a natural anti biotic.
With the oregano oil if you squeeze two capsules you get around 5 drops so you need to add 2-3 drops of olive oil or sunflower oil in to the food as well.
That does look nastier than Dillons so I would keep an eye on it and take to the vet if it gets worse in case of infection.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Try vitamin E capsules, they might also help with her skin issues. I take them for my brain and to reduce clotting but a side effect is wonderful nails.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Yes vitamin E works great to strengthen nails. Hank would always split his nails, I have been putting vitamin E oil directly on the nail every morning. It's hard to tell from the picture, but is the injury beside the nail bed or in the nail? Tynan had a burst cyst in between his toes that looked similar to the picture.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Nigredo has flappy double rear dewclaws on his rear toes that catch on things and break all the time. The only way to keep it from happening is to cut, cut, cut. Keep them super short.

But I have to agree with Timber, that looks more like a growth under her claw than the quick from a broken claw. The claw doesn't even look cracked or broken and the location of it seems to be BELOW the nail... I've seen many a badly broken claw, even with quicks exposed and it never looks like that.

Knowing Tonks history, I think that needs a vet peek TBH. For strengthening her nails, they offered good advice, and I have also heard some extra Omegas from fish can help, as well. Skin, hair, teeth, nails kinda stuff.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Hi Catrin--

I agree with MJ, and with above posters-- ow ow ow that does look sore, and it does look like something under the claw, but it's quite possible tat a cracked claw could have admitted a foreign object or something.

Vitamin E oil is very good for healing skin. You can put it straight on and put it in food for internal support. It can also help keep brittle claws supple, and it's harmless if Tonks licks it off. You can often get gel capsules cheaply from health food stores; they're often on sale-- just poke them with a pin.

Bear in mind that a dog's footpads heal from the inside out. This can often look exquisitely awful to humans, but it's an extremely excellent adaptation that lets dogs push foreign junk out of their paws, rather than sealing it in with scar tissue, the way we might (my mother exuded asphalt scraps from her forehead after a motorcycle accident for about 20 years!). I would keep that wound as clean as you can, just simple salt water baths, and of course get it looked at by a vet!