Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mattymaisy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-06-2014, 07:09 AM

Dog leaking urine - advice needed please

Hello,

We have 2 dogs both females.... we have a chocolate lab aged 2 years and we have been trying to get her to lose a little weight since xmas which we have succeeded with...
However as of approx. 3 or 4 weeks ago she has started to look a little too under weight .. (shes probably gone from 30kg to 25kg)... I gave her a worming tablet 2 weeks ago as I thought this may have been causing her look a little thin.

However my concern is that at the weekend I notice her licking her 'bits' and that she was leaking a little urine unintentionally and this appears to be happening when she is resting / sleeping and causing her to check herself out...

Does anyone have any advice as to what this may be?? and whether it may be worth a trip to the VETS ?? Is it something we should monitor or do you think it is worth a trip to the VETS now? Thanks
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2014, 07:43 AM
I would take a urine sample to the vets, preferably first wee of the day. It could be a number of things but best to eliminate the obvious first. It could be a simple uti easily cleared up with antibiotics. It could be incontinence but only the vet can say.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2014, 08:05 AM
Has she been spayed? This can sometimes lead to incontinence but as Trouble said a trip to the vet is required to get to the bottom of it either way.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2014, 08:13 AM
However my concern is that at the weekend I notice her licking her 'bits' and that she was leaking a little urine unintentionally and this appears to be happening when she is resting / sleeping and causing her to check herself out...
Hello Matt and welcome When dogs sleep/rest there is a relaxing of muscles and sometimes a bit of leakage for various reasons.
Is your dog spayed, the problem could be urinary incontinence treatable with medication.
It could as Trouble says be due to a UTI, is she drinking and peeing more (though there are not always these obvious syptoms)
Are you sure it is urine which is leaking, could it be a slight discharge which could indicate adult onset vaginitis an odd condition not fully understood which may or may not be bacterial related.
I think a vet check is a good idea taking a urine sample with you.
Mattymaisy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Hello all thanks so much for taking the time to offer your advice... I have been to the vets today with my dogs urine sample .. That was all fine .. However temp was a little high and her 'bits' were a little sore.. Vet thought it may be a mild uti so has given 5 days of anti biotics then if she is still not right the plan is for possible X-rays to see her bladder function the vet said it could be bladder stones or a misformation of the exit to the bladder.. Thanks again fingers crossed it is nothing too serious x