Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2014, 10:41 PM

Haemangiosarcoma

My beautiful 12 year old Delyth has been diagnosed with haemangiosarcoma which has metasticized. Her main symptom is severe lameness in one foreleg but we know it is also affecting her heart, lungs and stomach. She is currently cheerful and coping well.
I am armed with steroids and various painkillers and have a very supportive and knowledgeable vet.
I am having trouble feeding her and all my usual tricks dont work for very long. I am not worried about a sensible diet as she has only weeks to live, but as she is on high dose steroids she must feel very hungry. I could do with ideas to make her feel full up whilst eating only small amounts.

Thalice's Mum
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Aw no, so so sorry to hear this, give her a love from me and the girls. xxx I remember you talking about her being lame, but thought it was just old age really, because its a good age for a larger dog and they do get these aches and pains.
You must be devastated, big hugs
Only thing that came out of my mind was tripe, no idea if this is a good idea or not.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2014, 11:03 PM
When I lost Rio to oral cancer earlier this year she lived on Pilchards, Yoghurt and Butchers tripe thinned down with warm water. Try as I might she refused everything else. One suggestion I was given was chicken complan.

So sorry, I know how hard it is when all you want them to do is eat.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Thank you Tawneywolf and Trouble. Delyth gets more hugs than she actually needs !

Butchers tripe goes down OK if I hand feed her. She likes to occasional pilchard and will sometimes eat brown bread and butter. I will try the chicken Complan as she can lap but struggles with picking up stuff from her bowl.

Thank you

Maud
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-06-2014, 11:20 PM
So sorry Maud, you must be in bits x
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
So sorry Maud, you must be in bits x
Thank you. At the moment I am holding it together because I dont want her to be worried or upset. She just thinks she is lucky getting special attention and things to eat and sleeping on the bed and the furniture ! She doesnt know whats going on and I dont want to let on to her !
Meg
Supervisor

15-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Hello Maud I am so sorry to hear about Delyth it must be a very distressing situation for you.

I am having trouble feeding her and all my usual tricks don't work for very long.
Is she reluctant to eat, if so she may be feeling nauseous and I have learnt nothing will make a dog eat if they feel sick.
but as she is on high dose steroids she must feel very hungry. I could do with ideas to make her feel full up whilst eating only small amounts.
See above about feeling sick...

Delyth may have times when she does feel hungry , I would offer small frequent meals say ever three hours that way you are more likely to catch her at one of these times. Small frequent meals may also will stop her getting too hungry.
Strong smelling tasty food can sometimes tempt sick dogs, sardines with the oil removed also /chicken/ mince beef /scrambled egg/ steamed white fish /a teaspoon of scraped beef (buy braising steak and scrape it with a sharp knife) tinned pink salmon and all these can be mixed with a bit of boiled rice or mashed potato
Chicken complan is easy to eat with a bit of bovril or honey to make it more appealing.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-06-2014, 09:05 AM
I am sorry.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

15-06-2014, 09:14 AM
I am so very sorry to read about Delyth Maud - nothing I can say will "make everything better" for either of you, so I just send love and hugs. xx
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hello Maud I am so sorry to hear about Delyth it must be a very distressing situation for you.

Is she reluctant to eat, if so she may be feeling nauseous and I have learnt nothing will make a dog eat if they feel sick.

See above about feeling sick...

Delyth may have times when she does feel hungry , I would offer small frequent meals say ever three hours that way you are more likely to catch her at one of these times. Small frequent meals may also will stop her getting too hungry.
Strong smelling tasty food can sometimes tempt sick dogs, sardines with the oil removed also /chicken/ mince beef /scrambled egg/ steamed white fish /a teaspoon of scraped beef (buy braising steak and scrape it with a sharp knife) tinned pink salmon and all these can be mixed with a bit of boiled rice or mashed potato
Chicken complan is easy to eat with a bit of bovril or honey to make it more appealing.
Thanks Meg

I have some chicken cooking in a broth as we speak. She has managed some pilchards and brown bread and butter this morning and at lunch time some butchers tripe mixed with butchers tinned food. She's quite a big dog and needs to eat enough to maintain her weight for as long as we can.

She is currently happy playing in the sunshine with her sister Sapphire and daughter Rhian. So quite a good day.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >