Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kitkat_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2014, 12:33 PM

Neither of my dogs killed a shelter dog

I posted this on Breedia so thought I would share it here

Just copied and pasted this, saw if a while ago but not sure if you have seen it, the original link isnt working so I have copied the context

“Neither of my dogs killed a shelter dog” – Our favorite [a social network] status update in awhile
A big thanks to dog lover (and [a social network] friend) Michelle Gonsalves, for this well worded commentary on “purebred dogs creating shelter dogs”. We couldn’t have said it better ourselves. Over the years there’s been a growing number of uninformed voices rallying against the wonderful LOVING world of dog shows and ANY form of dog breeding. We thank Michelle, and any other people brave enough to speak up on the subject!
“Neither of my dogs killed a shelter dog”

A [a social network] Status update by Michelle Gonsalves – Reprinted by permission.

I am NOT ashamed to be the owner of two responsibly bred dogs.
Neither of my dogs killed a shelter dog. Neither of my dogs took a shelter dog’s home. Neither of them added to pet overpopulation. If I didn’t have them, I just would not have a dog.

Do you know what kills shelter dogs? Irresponsible owners kill shelter dogs. They kill them when they don’t do their research and add the wrong dog to the wrong household, then ditch it to die at a shelter when they can’t or don’t care to properly care for it.

Let’s not forget that in many breeds, it was responsible breeders who started their breed’s national rescue club. Not to save their own dogs (which don’t need saving), but to save the dogs that they never bred. To save the ones that don’t have safety nets. Responsible breeders did that. They did that in IGs.

I was interviewed more intensely to buy my two responsibly bred dogs than I ever interviewed a rescue candidate. I had supervised visitation… Multiple times. I don’t even own them outright, they are on co-ownership, so that if anything ever happens to me they will go back to their breeder (yes, even the neutered one).

How do I know this will come to pass? I’ve seen her do it with another of her dogs when the owner died unexpectedly. And I saw her do it with my own dog when I nearly died myself. No questions asked, she opened her home to him for as long as I needed her to… Potentially forever, if it came to that. Because that’s what responsible breeders do. And trust me, I researched until I found a responsible breeder.

Added to that, I am PROUD of the responsible breeders in this country who work SO hard to preserve our wonderful breed. Without them, the IG would be an unsound, neurotic, unhealthy creature. Not the elegant, sweet, healthy blessing that I love so much. Without responsible breeders, we’d never have gotten the amazing genetic health tests for enamel hypoplasia, the vonWildebrand’s test, the cda test or the pra test that are on their way.
Without breeders, the domestic dog would CEASE TO BE! I do not ever want to live in a world without dogs. What a terrible place that would be, yet so many professed animal lovers are campaigning through shaming to create just such a world. Because that’s what it means when you say things like “adopt don’t shop,” “don’t breed while shelter dogs die,” and “people who buy dogs from breeders should be ashamed of themselves.”

What do you think will happen if we sterilize all dogs? What do you think will happen if all breeders stop breeding? You’d very quickly loose the rare breeds and the giant breeds FOREVER. Wait a bit more and you’d loose important genetic diversity, causing untold suffering for dogs that have to come from increasingly small gene pools. And then, the dog- man’s best friend- would become extinct. Gone the way of the Dodo. Gone forever. So shame on YOU! Shame on you for hating dogs!

I am not ashamed of my dogs. I am not ashamed of their breeder, who is an amazing person who has given so much of herself for this and other breeds. I am not ashamed of my extended family all around the world in the sport of dogs. And I am not ashamed of myself for daring to want a responsibly bred dog that fits my lifestyle.

Blaming me for the death of shelter dogs is like blaming a parent for the death of orphans in Uganda because she chose to have a baby through pregnancy, rather than adopt one. I have never surrendered an animal in my life. I have never caused the death of a dog in all my life. So why don’t you focus your ire on the people who did– the people who dumped those dogs at the shelter. They are the ones who left those dogs to die. Not me.
Stop bashing your allies. Stop the shaming. We ALL need to work together for the good of dogs. Because there are scary people out there who want your dog gone. Who want you cat gone. Who want the horse out of your paddock, the guide dog out of his harness, the chicken out of the coop and the cow out of the dairy. Keep shilling their slick propaganda and shaming your fellow animal lovers and you help AR militants erase your dog from your very own home.

If anyone has a problem with that, feel free to unfriend me.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2014, 01:42 PM
That was a long screed! As for the 'another site' stuff all over it - makes me smile here - that we aren't allowed to mention Bookface but EVERYONE knows where you are talking about. Especially when they speak of 'unfriending' people! And more especially as you have included her name. Just a click on her name will bring up her FB page - she is in Florida and this article is reprinted in several places on the net. My point is you might as well have put a link to her FB page!

I think people should be allowed to choose the dogs they WANT. I don't feel a bit guilty about buying my dogs. However I do think some of what is written above goes a wee bit OTT. With the all dogs dying out stuff!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2014, 02:20 PM
The writer sounds slightly in need of a lay down before she raises her blood pressure further.

I think we all take on dogs when we believe we can manage then but no one can predict what life will be like 15 years down the line. So with the best intentions no amount of planning, education or anything else can really ensure you will be able to keep a dog to the end of it's life.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-04-2014, 02:55 PM
In most cases, when things like 'adopt don't shop' etc. are said, it is meant in connection with puppy farms and backyard breeders.
The fewest people attack really responsible breeders and people who do their research before buying a pedigree dog. And those are probably just nutters and they are found everywhere, not just in the animal lover world.

This whole paragraph sounds a bit too 'anti-peta' to me, because the majority of rescue organisations are not out to get rid of all dogs. And also, the statement that no animal should be kept as livestock or pet by Peta is a minor one yet people keep going on about it.

While the author makes a good point (that not all breeding is bad and that not everybody is capable to adopt a rescue etc.), I find it over the top and quite aggressive. It focusses only on her experience and completely disregards the actual fact of overbreeding through puppy farms. The statement that someone's 'purebred dog creates shelter dogs' is not addressed to the minority of dog lovers getting their dogs from responsible beeders, but to the sad majority out there thoughtlessly buying a dog from just about anyone. And while she might feel personally and wrongly attacked by this, I think she should look beyond it and see that perhaps nowadays we need generalised statements like this to shake people up and show them a reality that is neither pretty nor acceptable.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Florence
I find it over the top and quite aggressive.
Exactly my thoughts. Tad too hysterical for me. And that often results in what they have to say being counter-productive. Starts making you disagree with them even if you started out agreeing with their 'broad sentiment'. If you know what I mean?

And not all Breeders are wonderful either. Even those licensed and registered. We see enough slagging off of some on here and other places to know that's a fact. I've never heard a breeder ADMIT to being in it for the money but it's patently obvious some are.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Some nasty and unneeded attitude in that post all the way through. The added "feel free to unfriend me" was especially OTT. Agree with other posters here, I get her point and why she is so passionate about what she is saying, but there is no need to post something like that.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Some nasty and unneeded attitude in that post all the way through. The added "feel free to unfriend me" was especially OTT. Agree with other posters here, I get her point and why she is so passionate about what she is saying, but there is no need to post something like that.
lol! Yeah made me wish I was on her friends list so I could unfriend her! I HATE THAT word 'unfriend'.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
lol! Yeah made me wish I was on her friends list so I could unfriend her! I HATE THAT word 'unfriend'.
Me, too! And not trying to sound like a know-it-all but is that even a real word? Like is it in the real dictionary etc.? Because I really do not think so...
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Nor do I think so. And that's why I hate it!

For the opposite of 'befriend' I rather like 'SHUN' lol!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 01:03 PM
That works better, Tang. Frankly I think a person that would take time to write this harshly worded article/post/whatever really has some issues. That is my opinion BTW.

Clearly people have had a go at her because she paid a lot for her dogs, and said that she should have adopted instead. Happens all the time with owners of costly well bred dogs.

Difference with her is that she seems unable to take some harsh words without getting mad at people who have done nothing to her. And she uses this flaming post to vent her frustrations.

A post that is full of anger directed towards really nobody (her line about "unfriending" made that clear) is not the way to get people to turn to your cause. Add in the poor use of grammar such as "loose" for "lose" etc. and you have just a monstrosity IMO.

I think this post would have been better if she omitted the stuff about sterilizing all dogs and her breeder's life story which nobody cares about. Truly, nobody cares about that stuff at all.

She was saying that good breeders and the people who support them are good, dog loving people and do not deserved to be bashed for breeding dogs or buying them.

I agree with that! What I don't agree with is how she fails to mention that these people who own non pure bred dogs can also be good people and not let their dogs roam etc. and like Florence said, seems to leave out bits that true dog lovers should add.

It's like you said Tang, this is a very long read for someone who seems to have almost nothing to say. She also should have omitted the line "direct your ire" because ironically, had she taken heed to her own advice, she'd never have posted this for everyone to see.

Even if I said nothing of the sort to her (which I would not), I'd certainly "unfriend" her because people who cannot take a bit of criticism without going on a random tear and being annoying don't make for good friends.