Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2014, 02:41 PM

Not eating after heart attack

Shrek had a heart attack 2 weeks ago and at first he was still eating, now he won't eat anything except a few little bits of raw chicken or salmon that i hand feed him (with his tablets hidden inside) I've tried him with fresh meat, soft canned food that he used to love, now sniffs it and walks away
any advice for me pls? he is due back at vet in a couple of weeks
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Can you keep feeding him raw chicken and salmon until he's better? Maybe hand feed him all the meals if he's not too interested in food.
If he's been really unwell he might have to be coaxed into eating until he feels more normal again. If the chicken and salmon works, why not stick with that for now?
I hope he gets well soon!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Poor wee Shrek Agree with Florence's advice about continuing to hand feed him. I guess his loss of appetite is a symptom of his condition or maybe even his meds are upsetting his tummy.If it was my dog,I think I'd give the vet a ring and ask his advice.Its possible he might want to see Shrek sooner rather than leave it for a fortnight.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 05:03 PM
So sorry to hear about Shrek . In view of the fact that he has recently had a heart attack and now not eating I would definitely make a phone call to the vets to see what they think. I would ask their advice because if his heart is damaged it can sometimes cause a build up of fluid which would need to be sorted immediately.

Good luck and hopefully the vet will be able to reassure you and you'd then just have to hand feed him until he gets his appetite back. Keep us informed as to how he is getting on.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 06:35 PM
I too am so sorry to read this, and can only concur with what has already been said.

I would certainly ring the vet to see what he/she thinks, and would also try all manner of morsels to see if Shrek will accept them. As well as the chicken and salmon, perhaps some nice smelly sardines or cooked liver? Anything to just keep the digestive system going until the appetite returns.

Good luck.
antiques2bloved
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Sorry to here about Shrek. Try some smooth peanut butter, pureed baby food, and boiled the chicken for now, until his system adjusts to the meds. These are some of the things my vet. has recommended to entice their appetite. I totally agree with every post, call his vet. and let them know his appetite has slowed down, and I hope he feels better real soon.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 08:11 PM
What Jenny said about the build up of fluid is very valid advice. Having had a a dog with heart prob.

All I can say (before you see the vet again) is, in your place I would do WHATEVER it takes to keep her stress free and as happy as possible and if that means feeding tiny bits of salmon, caviar, chicken, waddever by hand to keep her happy - do that and just stroke and reassure her by talking to her.
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2014, 08:50 PM
He has had some cooked chicken tonight and i have more for him for tomorrow.
Plus the smoked salmon !!!!
I had some limp lettace, tomato and an egg !!!!!!! plus a bowl of porridge !
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Surely!!
Great to hear he eat though
antiques2bloved
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2014, 09:06 PM
A.W.E.S.O.M.E.. Great to hear he's eating.