Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gentster
New Member!
Male 

19-11-2013, 11:38 AM

Teaching Gracie to heel

I am a new dog owner and we are trying to teach our new puppy Gracie (14 week old Labrador) to heel. We are trying the quick snatch and praise and/or treat when she's co-operating at the moment but would be keen to find out other dog owner's most effective heel methods. I've started a little Worpress blog if anyone is interested in following her progress, I'll keep this page updated too.
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Try just stopping walking the moment she pulls. When she realizes you've stopped, hopefully she will stop herself to see what the hold up is. Then you take another step. If she pulls again, you stop again. And so on. She will learn that if she pulls she gets nowhere. Don't take a step forward until the lead is slack. It worked with mine. It means you're not fighting with them and not putting undue strain on her neck (I don't know what "quick snatch" means, but I wouldn't personally recommend yanking a dog by the neck as a training method). You want to aim for cooperation, not force. If you pull her back on the lead constantly you just get her used to the sensation of having a tight lead, and she will think this is normal.

Naturally whenever she is walking on a loose lead, treat and praise etc.

Someone else might explain it better!