Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mrsmitchell1114
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2013, 06:21 AM

Dog on dog aggression, please HELP

Today my husband and I returned home to find 2 of our 3 dogs bleeding and wounded!
We left them for a few hours to un some errands. When we left we filled their Kong toys with treats, like we normally do gave them water and hosed them down so they'd stay cool.
I can only assume they got in a fight over the kong, but that's never happened before.
Toby is our newest rescue, a pit bull, he is one year old and we've had him since July. Layla is a pit bull mix we've had for almost 3 years. They get along great normally, our little cattle dog didn't have a mark on him.
My fear is will it happen again?! I can't put Layla through this again! She has more then a dozen puncture wounds mostly to her face! Toby has maybe 5!
So do I rehome Toby, or risk this happening again?

Thanks for your help!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2013, 06:38 AM
Oh dear. I wouldn't risk it happening again but you don't necessarily have to rehome him do you? Can you crate him, or leave him in a different part of the house while you're out, I'd only crate it you were only gone a few hours.

Have you taken them to a vets?

I'd be very careful about feeding them together or giving kings or treats from now on, given each one of them a different room in the house to have it, or crate your little one for any chews, bones etc.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2013, 07:09 AM
I have 2 bossy bitches who will fight at times, I don't give the chance to fight. When I go out I seperately them, I never leave them together alone, if I did I may come home to a dead dog.

They will both be stressed at the moment so this has to be sorted first, put a few drops in the drinking water.

Toby hasn't been with you long and your dogs are still settling together, only you can decide whether to rehome Toby or not but by seperating the. When you go out you won't come back to a dead dog.

The stress on you and your husband is very high as well, you both need to relax as well so you can make the right decision so open a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates and chill.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2013, 02:48 PM
I agree rehoming seems a bit extreme atm. I think the single most important thing you need to do is ensure that it never happens again for two reasons. Firstly and obviously, to protect both dogs but secondly they must never "practice" this behaviour when one p!sses the other one off otherwise it becomes a go-to response and that's what you need to avoid. I would go back to the beginning - search online for introducing new dogs to each other, it may take weeks of absolute minimum contact and will involve a lot of hard work and in the meantime keep them separate. Please whatever happens do not minimise what happened and kid yourself it isn't going to happen again because unless you act then it most definitely will happen again.

sorry I didn't mean to lecture it's just I feel very strongly that aggression is an extremely serious problem and yet with the right approach can be managed but NOT cured.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2013, 03:20 PM
One of my dogs has medical problems which cause him to redirect onto other dog. They are never left alone together
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Oh dear I am so sorry to be reading your desperate post. It must have been a dreadful scene to come home to. Only you can decide what is best for your family and only you know your dogs. The trouble is even if you separate them when you go out you can't watch them 24/7 even when you are in. Another fight could just as easily start when you are present and you will have to be so vigilant to make sure a door is never left open for them to be together

Good luck and keep us informed.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2013, 05:36 PM
I once took on a dog that was supposed to be good with other dogs, sge tried to kill my other dogs when she arrived. I have to keep my foster girl away from my 2 bossy bitches, if it helps I will say how I do it.

I always have a dog gate, they are higher than baby gates, or a closed door between them. I let on out to toilet then put her in another room then let the other out. I do let the dogs see each other but only when I am there.

I have found that the dogs learn that there is nothing to be frightened of then I can slowly let them get together.

It is hard work, you can't slip up so you have to be very consistent, many people can't cope with it all, only you know if you can.
Mrsmitchell1114
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Shaggy2 View Post
Oh dear I am so sorry to be reading your desperate post. It must have been a dreadful scene to come home to. Only you can decide what is best for your family and only you know your dogs. The trouble is even if you separate them when you go out you can't watch them 24/7 even when you are in. Another fight could just as easily start when you are present and you will have to be so vigilant to make sure a door is never left open for them to be together

Good luck and keep us informed.
This is what I'm worried about! I also gave a toddler and I'm terrified of him accidentally getting in the middle! I think the risks are too high! I appreciate everyone's opinions and advice! Can anyone send me in the right direction for rehoming him? He has a crate, raised food bowls, is neutered and finished a basic obedience class.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Mrsmitchell1114 View Post
This is what I'm worried about! I also gave a toddler and I'm terrified of him accidentally getting in the middle! I think the risks are too high! I appreciate everyone's opinions and advice! Can anyone send me in the right direction for rehoming him? He has a crate, raised food bowls, is neutered and finished a basic obedience class.
Unfortunately most members here are UK based, so will not be able to help....

I think you should contact the rescue you got him from and ask them to take him back..

Sadly not all rescues work out, your priority is your family and other dogs.

Sad to hear it did not work out.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by Mrsmitchell1114 View Post
We have to give you as much information as we can, we are not there and can't see what is happening. By giving information you can make the best decision for you and your family.

I opted to keep my dogs but I live on my own so don't have to worry about others not doing what is necessary to keep both dogs safe, if I had others living with me I may have made a different decision.

In the UK it is a condition the most rescues have that the dog is returned to the so check with the rescue before doing anything else.

Good luck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >