Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Welshybird82
New Member!
Female 

07-05-2013, 03:12 PM

Poorly pooch

Hello, I am new to dogsy and came across this forum whilst looking for advice. My 10 year old lab cross has just had major abdominal surgery last week as my vet found a lump in his stomach, we expected the news to be cancer but on opening him up the vet found nothing. He seemed the thing the lump was fluid. Previous to this my dog had been straining an pooping a lot an we were told it was his hips as he is an old man. Now a week after surgery my dog is passing some pretty foul looking poop all orange and mucusy, the vet thinks it MAY be collitis but isn't sure. Anyone ever had anything similar? Could do with support
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Hello Alison , welcome.
. Now a week after surgery my dog is passing some pretty foul looking poop all orange and mucusy, the vet thinks it MAY be collitis but isn't sure
That doesn't sound very nice. How is the wound and your dogs health generally. Does he seem ok eating, drinking peeing normally, not panting or stressed in any way. What are you feeding him on.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Hello and welcome - what a horrible episode you are having with your elderly boy, and your vet does seem to be floundering a little doesn't he.

I have no advice as have had no experience of this, but I really hope that you get some answers soon and good luck.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2013, 08:39 PM
So sorry to hear that your poor boy is having these problems and I can understand how worried you must be about him. I do not have any advice to offer but I hope your vet will be able to give you more guidance and that you will find a way forward.
Hugs to you and your boy.
Welshybird82
New Member!
Female 

07-05-2013, 08:39 PM
His wound is healing nicely at the mo, we have him on gastro food from the vets as of today, it was previously chicken and rice. He's really well in himself an kidney function is normal, urinating as usual, just an issue when pooping we have really been through the mill with him this past week x
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2013, 09:38 PM
I feel for you, but it seems as if you have cleared most of the hurdles and are just left with this one pooping problem.

The colour thing is strange isn't it, especially when he is well in all other respects. If there were other problems, then I would suggest trying a fish and potato diet (Fish4dogs, Wafcol etc.) but as it is only the poops with no sickness or itching then it wouldn't seem to be necessary.

Keep your chin up, you will get there I am sure simply because you care!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Hi Alison
Now a week after surgery
You don't say how long after the operation your dog started pooing or if it has been that colour all the time since the operation.
Sometimes chicken and rice can produce yellowy poo particularly if a dog hasn't had a poo for a little while .
As your dog seems to be doing well otherwise I would see how things go after a couple of days on the gastro diet
Welshybird82
New Member!
Female 

08-05-2013, 08:26 PM
It's been 8 days since his surgery, he had his first poop last Friday and since then its been a mix of runny and mucousy with lumps, he has now been given steroids and I have him on gastro intestinal food from the vets but he is still having diarrhoea, think its going to be a long road
Thanks for all you help it's been brilliant xx
Welshybird82
New Member!
Female 

29-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Hi everyone, would just like to let you all know my pooch has made a full recovery and doing well, running around the park an house as normal. The vets seem to think it was severe case of colitis that had been misdiagnosed for months and created an absess in the bowel, a course of antibiotics and steroids seem to have done the trick.
I would like to thank you all for your well wishes and support 😄 ❤❤
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2013, 08:09 AM

Always great to hear good news
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >