Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 08:37 PM

Jadey.. leash walking progress

So I've been working with Jade, a 10 year old GSD cross I got just a while ago. She has no previous training and is starting from scratch at an old age. Here is her leash progress so far...

March 4th, 2013

March 17th, 2013

March 27th, 2013

Sorry for the wind and the gross sniffing in the last video... it was kicking my butt! I know I posted the other two in another thread but I thought I'd post this one with her latest video in it.

As you can see, we are making good progress. I KNOW the muzzle is ugly but I'm hoping to be able to take it off soon enough.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Well done! ��
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Jade is doing well walking on a loose leash ... well done

It will be much nicer for her not to have that muzzle on though as it really is too tight. He nose is sticking out of it and the rubber bare below her nose looks as though its touching her top lip. The next size up would definitely be more comfortable for her.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Jade is doing well walking on a loose leash ... well done

It will be much nicer for her not to have that muzzle on though as it really is too tight. He nose is sticking out of it and the rubber bare below her nose looks as though its touching her top lip. The next size up would definitely be more comfortable for her.
I understand your concern, but I assure you.. SHE is actually much more comfortable in this size. The other one (larger size) was up over/near her eyes and she had an absolute FIT and was able to get it off in the store.

Her head is shaped oddly, and no muzzle fits perfectly on her.. but she truly is most comfortable with this one. I'm truly hoping that she'll be able to get if off soon.

In this one, she doesn't buck at all and acts as if it's not even there. You're right.. it is a bit on the small side... but this one is better for her. It really is.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2013, 10:38 PM
She is a lovely girl and I can tell she means the world to you - so sweet to see. I can sense quite a lot of anxiety from you though - is that because of previous problems with her and/or potential dogs on the loose in your neighbourhood. She is a really lovely dog.

I know what you mean about muzzles and how unattractive they are I too have to put a muzzle on mine and it makes him look so horrible and he's such a handsome chap.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
She is a lovely girl and I can tell she means the world to you - so sweet to see. I can sense quite a lot of anxiety from you though - is that because of previous problems with her and/or potential dogs on the loose in your neighbourhood. She is a really lovely dog.

I know what you mean about muzzles and how unattractive they are I too have to put a muzzle on mine and it makes him look so horrible and he's such a handsome chap.
Oh yes. If we were to be bothered by a stray dog or even an assailant... I'd have to defend us both without Jade being able to do anything at all to defend herself. I am armed with a fire poker, a heavy, truly devastating weapon should I have to use it. It should be enough in broad daylight but still.

My old dog Brownie was fine with people and most dogs and never had to be muzzled.. and he got into several EXTREMELY nasty fights because of strays (pit bulls). Had he been muzzled, I might not have been able to save him. Scary stuff. So being on the defensive like this is taking a bit of getting used to. I'm alright though, trust me.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Any muzzle better than none I suppose but I too think that is too small and it should actually extend beyond the end of her face.

Anyhow Myra YOU ARE DOING GREAT. Boy I wish my GSDs had walked like that on a lead when they were 'new'. Took me about a year to get them to stop pulling me so hard I was virtually 'ski-ing' behind them on grass!

Like me - you keep her on the hard surface and off the grass wherever possible. I do this to keep nails short and also (middle of the road) to give me best viewpoint of any potential hazards from both sides! We can quickly get back on the pavement (sidewalk to you!) as she has learned the command 'HUP' lol! I just said it to her every time we got to the kerb. And now if I say it - she will head to nearest kerb and HUP up onto it.

Will say again - I really ADMIRE the amount of time and effort you are putting into Jade Myra. Both with her training, behaviour, walking etc. and with bonding with her and being buddies.

She's a lucky dog and you are just a big softie at heart! You have the loveliest 'soft' voice and manner of speaking to her. I do that with Bella but, being a Londoner, I do not have such an attractive voice!

xx
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Any muzzle better than none I suppose but I too think that is too small and it should actually extend beyond the end of her face.

Anyhow Myra YOU ARE DOING GREAT. Boy I wish my GSDs had walked like that on a lead when they were 'new'. Took me about a year to get them to stop pulling me so hard I was virtually 'ski-ing' behind them on grass!

Like me - you keep her on the hard surface and off the grass wherever possible. I do this to keep nails short and also (middle of the road) to give me best viewpoint of any potential hazards from both sides! We can quickly get back on the pavement (sidewalk to you!) as she has learned the command 'HUP' lol! I just said it to her every time we got to the kerb. And now if I say it - she will head to nearest kerb and HUP up onto it.

Will say again - I really ADMIRE the amount of time and effort you are putting into Jade Myra. Both with her training, behaviour, walking etc. and with bonding with her and being buddies.

She's a lucky dog and you are just a big softie at heart! You have the loveliest 'soft' voice and manner of speaking to her. I do that with Bella but, being a Londoner, I do not have such an attractive voice!

xx
Hi, the muzzle IS a bit too small, I agree. However, this is the one that she seemed to like better. The larger one went up near her eyes too much. It drove her NUTS. In her flailing (extremely embarrassing in the store BTW) she was able to get it off. I tried this one, and all was well... so this is the one I picked. I'm checking her frequently to make sure it's not rubbing fur off, creating sores etc. and she seems to be fine.

Thanks for the great comments as well. She is doing EXCELLENT, much better than I had expected. I'm not letting up with her training because I know she's scatterbrained.

While I am powerful enough to be able to hold her back even when she's pulling as hard as she can (she's VERY strong) there is no reason to make walks unpleasant.

I live around quite a few maniacs that have a tendency to get VERY angry if you let your dog into their yard (one set a Chow on me when I had Brownie!) because people let their dogs poo in yards and don't pick it up etc., so Jade isn't allowed up on curbs and into people's grass. She gets to stop at empty lots and "in between" areas to sniff around, pee, etc.

This is only the beginning, though. She still is learning not to react so horribly to dogs, and not to snarl at children. Taking her to the local park is a mess, as people always have their dogs there and she goes berserk...
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2013, 12:24 AM
It's the people who let their dogs poo in front yards and right outside people's doors here that get ALL dogs the bad name.

I never walk my dog in the town centre (that is just up the road.) Always where the roads are quiet and only then til we get to open land where it's safe for us.

Your neighbourhood looks much more tidy and neat than mine! I have to close my eyes to the litter and mess and concentrate it just a bit further to the ocean, the mountains, the sunrises and sunsets! But it took a bit of getting used to at first. Culture shock after coming from beautiful neat South Devon and beautiful wild west Cornwall before that!

I still attribute most of my aches and pains to blerdy Litter Picking here - some days I can fill a big bin bag. It's been said to me both here and in UK that 'council employs people to do that'. My response is always 'if you taught your kids not to drop the stuff in the first place and picked up after your dogs NO ONE would have to do it!'
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
So I've been working with Jade, a 10 year old GSD cross I got just a while ago. She has no previous training and is starting from scratch at an old age. Here is her leash progress so far...

March 4th, 2013

March 17th, 2013

March 27th, 2013

Sorry for the wind and the gross sniffing in the last video... it was kicking my butt! I know I posted the other two in another thread but I thought I'd post this one with her latest video in it.

As you can see, we are making good progress. I KNOW the muzzle is ugly but I'm hoping to be able to take it off soon enough.
Hi She is doing well,I know you said about themuzzle,but it really gives her a mean look as if she is trouble,so lets hope you can lose the muzzle soon,she is such a beautiful dog crystalgirl
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >