Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2005, 02:22 PM

Bl**dy BT!

This is a partial explanation of why I've been "missing" for days! The phone lines around here are, quite simply, ROTTEN. Trying to get online has been so much of a nightmare that I haven't tried very often, it's just too frustrating! Today, I've been booted off so often that I'm not sure I can even complete this posting!

All this just as I'm trying to convert to Broadband, too (which finally got here two weeks ago, thanks for hurrying, BT!) - I'm not sure that the line will handle it at all, so I will go offline shortly, so that I can shout at a BT rep about the shocking service they give us here in the islands (for God's sake, we pay the same line rental as anyone else in the UK! Too much, IMO!)

My pal down the road a wee bit can get 512 meg max on his line, but BT tell us it should reach 2MBps. I spoke to a chap at Tiscali, who said that, according to BT, we should get 2MB - so who do I believe? There's no point in signing up to (and paying for) 2MB if I can't get it, is there?

The trouble is that with lightning strikes over the years and a lot of groundwater, the lines are totally knackered, but BT choose to ignore this, and prefer to patch the network piecemeal (with overtime, borrowed staff on overtime) to doing a proper job!

So I may have another enforced period of absence while I beat up BT and try to get the BB working (Tiscali will cost me the same as my current AOL dialup, but tens of times faster, but only if BT can get the bl**dy lines to work!)

I've always said that selling BT off was a bad move! Now there is nobody for them to answer to, except shareholders (who won't give a damn as long as the cash keeps rolling in!). Taxpayers got a bad deal, too, as BT was sold off too cheaply. The sooner they are re-nationalised, the better (and NO compensation to the shareholders - they've done well enough already, at the customers' expense!)

BT? Bloody Terrible!

Snorri
(not a happy bunny)
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Sorry you're having such grief Snorri, unfortunately with comms companies one is much the same as the other, problem wise.

For us it's NTL (Numpties, ******s and liars) LOL...Have to laugh or you'll cry
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2005, 03:13 PM
all they are interested is is selling it the service is rubish by most of them if you whant to buy new then the service is good
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2005, 03:19 PM
I went offline for a few minutes there, and got hold of some poor guy at BT (who could hear the "bacon frying" noise on my phone). He ran a line test which confirmed that there was a line fault and that it would be put on priority, which means, apparently, the 6th of September!

He also checked the line's download capacity, and confirmed 2MBps, but only because we are under a mile from the hut which serves as an exchange here.

I tried to get back via AOL and it took me over ten minutes, during which all I got was a series of messages saying "The modem could not ddetect a carrier wave" - a sure sign that the line is on the blink. Rotten, full of water and well over 20 years old! There's a marker post outside our house, it still says "GPO" on it!

This is playing havoc with the laptop, so I'm gonna have a look about here, try to catch up a bit, then go and have a pint. B*GG*R BT. If I was sufficiently minted, I'd try going via my mobile and bluetooth, but I'm not, so I won't. Sorry.

Time all these telecomms companies were answerable to their customers - when I'm Fuhrer, they will be! Penalty for bad service will be vaporization, with no chance of an appeal! They'll learn to respect the Snorri Death Squads!

Snorri
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 09:26 PM
LOL Snorri, OH reckons they'll answer to him when he's 'President for Life'