Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kimw30
New Member!
Female 

06-01-2013, 09:10 PM

Pancreatic insufficiency and B12 deficiency in a dog

Hey I have a rat terrier dog who is 4 years old and her name is Prissy and the vet said thursday he thought she had pancreatic insufficiency and vitamin B12 deficiency and he did the tests and he called me and said the tests came back positive that she did have it. She had a vitamin B12 shot thursday and she has to have one every week and i also have to sprinkle a pancreas enzyme powder in her food. Anyone know much about this disease, I read on one website that it mostly happens to bigger breed dogs, the vet said this is why she isnt gaining weight. I hope now since the vet found out what is wrong with her she will start getting better.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2013, 09:51 PM
My old Leonberger has a B12 deficiency. He didnt have the pancreatic problem.

He had the B12 jabs every week for about 2 months, then 2 weekly etc.
The vet also taught us how to inject him to keep costs down. It used to cost us about £35 for the year.
I stopped the jabs after 2yrs but supplemented him daily with B12 tablets.
You cannot OD on B12 as it is water soluable so they just pee out any excess.
It completely changed him for the better.

From what my vet and I worked on was, changed his diet to raw, cut out all wheat including treats and biscuits.

I had him retested every 6mths to check his levels. He developed this after his first puppy jabs, but I couldnt prove this but I do know this can happen from what I read up on this condition.

Try googling Malabsorption B12 in dogs.

Good luck and I hope Prissy responds well to treatment. xx