Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 02:16 PM

Update on training & looking for more suggestions

After I joined the forum with lots of questions and doubts I was doing the best by Riley I thought I'd update on how things are going and see if anyone had any hints/tips/suggestions where to go from here...

So after we had a wonderful trainer come for an assessment clicker training really clicked.
Started off with ball for reward, but training became a bit chaotic as he wanted to play with the ball after each reward.
Riley wouldn't take food from hand though, but cooked chicken was key .... however, I noticed he was putting on a little weight so reduced his bowl food.
However, today he was looking for more food and voilą! He took his biscuits from my hand for a whole 30 minute training session!!!

What we have down in house/garden;

Sit
Wait
Down
Up
Go under legs each way (working on weave)
Touch target with nose (this is multiple targets in a route around house, up high, on floor, in hand)
Touch target with paw
Roll over
Heel
Put toys back in toy box
In bed
Out bed

What we have down on walk;
Sit
Down
Wait
Touch target with nose

Most importantly outside I can get his attention when another dog is around, and he knows we now walk in the opposite direction if a dog runs towards us!

Recall is iffy, but using whistle rather than his name which he'd learnt to ignore has made great progress! Brilliant in house and garden and I walk around house with treats in my pocket whistling/calling him randomly.

We are working on getting everything we can do in house done on walk but getting his attention can be difficult - wee'ing on things still more interesting than me sometimes!

Any ideas on what we could work on in house?

Or how to be more interesting than wee'ing on things?

(You may be able to tell I'm off work ill today, hence all the posts - sorry!)
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Sounds like you are doing great Nicola

How about hand signals? For sit, come here, down, speak etc