Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 04:17 PM

On lead in public places

Following on from another thread, I wondered whether many dog owners felt that a ban on dogs off leads in public places would be welcome due to the supposed increase in dog on dog attacks.

I am absolutely against these sort of control orders, where dogs cannot run free in public areas or the countryside. Obviously it is common sense for such dogs to be under the control of the owner at all times, but would some welcome such a ban and, if so, why?
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 04:23 PM
It would be a sledge hammer to crack a nut and a huge shame if those of us who keep our dogs under close control were penalised because of a minority who won't/can't. It would be better if the owners of problem dogs were actually dealt with effectively under current legislation. As it is unless a person is injured and the dog deemed to be dangerously out of control then the law is no help at all.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't walk anywhere where my dogs need to be kept on a lead, so I wouldn't be happy with a blanket ban. I would rather take the common sense approach where owners with actual out of control dogs are punished rather than a blanket everyone is guilty type ban.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 04:37 PM
I agree with Maxine and Annette.

I would hate to see a blanket ban on dogs off leads, although I do think it would solve alot of problems.

The thought of dogs not being able to have off lead time when they are well behaved fills me with dread, especially so because i'm a firm believer that all dogs need a good run around to burn off physical energy.
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Of course the irresponsible owners would ignore the ban while the dogs of responsible owners would lose their freedom.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-09-2012, 04:47 PM
No I'd hate it and would feel as though I was being punished for other people's failure to control their dogs. Punish those who fail to control their dogs in public not those that do.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 05:08 PM
We only go to places where ours can have a run without leads, obviously its common sense in my book that a lead is used near picnic areas/play areas etc etc., I count my lucky stars that these don't mingle with other peoples dogs and stay together, but we do come across those that think its ok to walk on leaving their dog to do what it wants, it would be a real shame if this ban came in as I would really feel we were being punished for those that don't give a damn
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2012, 06:11 PM
No, I appreciate that a dog on dog attack is frightening and horrible, but the incidence of serious attacks compared to what must be millions of peaceful dog to dog interactions, must be small.
If such a law did exist,a lot of town dwellers could see themselves confined to dog parks, where any attacks could still occur.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I agree with everyone. I would HATE not to be able to let my dogs have regular runs off lead. My dogs are rarely on a lead, so it would be a real shock to all of our systems.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 06:40 PM
I have absolutely no problem with keeping my dog on a lead when in public.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >