Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-08-2012, 09:38 PM

Question about PAT dogs for an elderly relative

I know that usually PAT dogs tend to visit group homes and hospitals etc. but is it possible to get a PAT dog to visit an elderly, housebound relative?

My nan has dementia & it's getting quite bad now but she really likes dogs & really lights up when she's around one. She doesn't really get to see anyone very much anymore, just the carers who come to take care of her & my aunts a couple of times a week so I think she's quite lonely. She used to have dogs of her own & would love a dog now but with her dementia & the fact that she is housebound, there's no way she could have one now. I think having a PAT dog visit once a week or just once a month would do her a world of good.

I don't suppose anyone would know if getting a PAT dog to visit her would even be possible or of any charities I could contact who arrange this sort of thing for the elderly? Specifically in the South Glamorgan area of South Wales?

ETA: I would visit her with my dog but she lives in Wales and I don't get to see her much as it is. Whenever I go down, I take Molly with me though & she really loves it
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2012, 05:32 AM
I think this would be possible - contact PAT http://www.petsastherapy.org/ to find out who your local organiser is to arrange a visit
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the link. I'm going to give them a call at the weekend & see what they say I'm hoping we can get someone to visit her.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2012, 05:15 PM
As a Pat Temperament Assessor I can confirm that PAT dogs do see private (if that is the right word) clients eg those with phobias etc.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
As a Pat Temperament Assessor I can confirm that PAT dogs do see private (if that is the right word) clients eg those with phobias etc.
Fantastic, thanks for confirming that for me! I'll definitely get it sorted out, she'll absolutely love seeing a PAT dog