View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 06:15 AM

Poor Mouse... She has an idiot for an owner.

Seriously, I really need to use my brain now and then!

Mouse's mangled foot (an injury from before she was rescued) got an abscess, a little more than a month ago. likely from a thorn or something (she doesn't have a pad there, just skin) Well, I've treated tons of abscesses in the rez dogs that I've rescued (and ones left on the reserve) and have had training by our vet in the care of them. so I didn't feel it necessary to rush her to the vet for something easily fixed. I also prefer using natural remedies in place of antibiotics, in non-serious issues.

So planned treatment- (and yes, I talked it over with my vet, who approved)

1-lance abscess, using a very sharp blade cleaned with rubbing alcohol

2-squeeze all the puss out,

3-Soak in hot epsom salts for 15 minutes

4-slather in tea tree oil,

5-bandage to keep clean.

repeat steps 2x per day, excluding the first one, unless it closes and begins to fill with puss again. (though I planned to use a needle instead)

Everything went as planned, and she was healing nicely, but after 3 days I had to re-open it, as it started to fill, so I just used a needle. then things went downhill. her foot began to blister on her bottom pad, so I thought maybe I bandaged her foot too tight? so I put it on loosely. but it kept needing to be re-opened, each time I used a needle, and it just kept getting worse... so off to the vet we went. (after about a week)

The vet couldn't see any reason it wasn't getting better, except maybe something was stuck in her foot and hadn't come out, so she got an injectable antibiotic and pills for 10 days with another appt in 2 weeks to see if she needs surgery to remove something. but a couple of days later her fur is falling out on her foot, and curiously on her neck...

so here I am saying "good god what is wrong with this dog!"

umm knife and needles = metal

Mouse is allergic to metal

DUH!!!

I phoned my vet once I figured that out... he did a forehead slap as well, then I went and picked up some antihistamines...

Mouse's foot is all back to normal now, and the hair is growing back...

I'm so sorry Mouse, for being a complete idiot!!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 06:24 AM
Hey, I am sure I would have done exactly the same.

Poor you, and poor mouse.

We don't always think outside the box.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 06:28 AM
That little episode has totally made my decision not to spay Mouse... if a couple of needle pokes can do that kind of damage... poor baby
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Oh dear! It might be worth taking this chance to look into alternatives, just incase she ever does need an injection or operation in an emergency. Just googled "metal allergy needles" and quite a few results suggest that many needles have a percentage of nickel in them, maybe your vet could contact their needle supplier/manufacturer to clarify the exact makeup
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Oh dear---what a surprise, poor Mouse.

Lucky you found out now though.

rune
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Glad she is on the mend now. I don't think you are stupid - I wouldn't have even DREAMT of what it turned out to be. (I'm sure a lot of veterinary people wouldn't have either!)

What a relief.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Ah yes, I dont think I was clear... I already knew she was allergic to metal THAT's why I'm stupid
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Is it all metals though, or certain ones? I remember you posting about collars without metal fixings before (at least I think it was you?) but wondered if it was just a sensitivity to stuff like nickel, for example - so your vet finding out what's in their regular needles may help and they could keep a stock of 100% stainless steel ones in stock for you in an emergency, for example.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Is it all metals though, or certain ones? I remember you posting about collars without metal fixings before (at least I think it was you?) but wondered if it was just a sensitivity to stuff like nickel, for example - so your vet finding out what's in their regular needles may help and they could keep a stock of 100% stainless steel ones in stock for you in an emergency, for example.
She is allergic to stainless, for sure, (gets blisters in her mouth from drinking out of stainless dishes) not sure about nickle, and she's fine with brass (she's wearing a collar with brass fittings right now ) and whatever is in cans now (tin?), as she gets blisters in her mouth from eating canned foods. I have to use plastic utensils when mixing her food, too.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Oh dear, that makes it harder then. This manufacturer lists various materials used for their medical needles
http://www.whbagshaw.com/medical-needles
Maybe your vet can see what alternatives are available. I'd have thought scalpels etc. might be easier to get in alternative materials though, or at least plated with something else, so operations may not be totally out of the picture.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >