Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sperera
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-08-2012, 02:39 AM

Changing brands of food - is this ok?

Been told by someone not to change food brands, but if I want to do this how much would it affect my GSD?

after reading on here more i have learnt that what I thought to be the best most expesive dog food I can buy isnt necessarily the best I can buy (if that makes sense)

so before I switch brands is it ok to try something different?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Yes it is absolutely fine. If you think about it, feral dogs eat new things every day, whatever they can find from the rubbish dump.

If you do change it may be wise to change to one that is similar ie if you are feeding a chicken based food change to another chicken based food.

Many people feed different brands monthly, depending on what is the best value.
sperera
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-08-2012, 06:49 AM
thought that might be the case, im sure it sounded like a stoopid question but when you get told this by someone at a pet shop it puts doubt in your head LOL.

thanks for the reply
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by sperera View Post
thought that might be the case, im sure it sounded like a stoopid question but when you get told this by someone at a pet shop it puts doubt in your head LOL.

thanks for the reply
Remember people who work in pet shops are just shop assistants, I have not met any yet that have any formal qualifications in canine nutrition and they mostly regurgitate what they have been told by colleagues or the manufacturer.
sperera
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-08-2012, 11:27 PM
going to visit a net pet warehouse today on my lunch break and look for a new dog food that doesnt have meat by-products in the ingredients.

wish me luck LOL
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2012, 06:56 AM
I change brands every so often to give the dogs a change, and I just swap one for another when I have run out, and never had any problems.
sperera
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-08-2012, 04:43 AM
picked up a 8 kilo bag of Advance. checked the ingredients and there's no meat by products.

tried it for the first time this morining and Simba wolfed it down, i am mixing with the older dry food though so its not such a shock to his system
brooklynsour
New Member!
Male 

16-08-2012, 05:07 AM
for older dogs not sure but as far as puppies its not very recommended i think and if you will change the brand start mixing little amouts of the new brand with old and gradually increase new food and decrease old im pretty sure
Muskrat
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2012, 09:16 AM
We're currently feeding our pup 3 different dry foods - burns, harringtons, and the local farms supplies shops own brand super premium kibble. And he gets some of our old dogs senior kibble in treat balls/kongs. He also gets some tinned food, some raw food and some human food.

We want to be able to chop and change with him, and I want him to be very motivated by food so we're trying to keep it interesting! He was fussy when he came to us, but he scoffs whatever's put in front of him now and will accept kibble as a training treat

I don't think that being hypersensitive to a change in food is at all healthy, and it seems to be purely the result of the whole "mustn't change brands without caaaareful switch-over" mentality. I understand that some dogs are sensitive to certain ingredients, but just changing to a different similar kibble shouldn't make them ill.
sperera
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-08-2012, 11:38 PM
so far the switch hasnt caused in issues. still mixing new and old so that might have something to do with it.

i only originally questioned switching brands because of advice I received from a pet shop, eating wise I knew Simba wouldnt have a problem, he will eat anything I put infront of him LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >