Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Pippa the puppy has a dodgy tummy

Hello. My 4 month old pup sometimes has a funny tummy. About a week or so ago she vomited a few times, then was fine. Then a couple days ago she did a yellow diarrhea-ey poo that looked like Picallilli, and I was reading up about giardia and panicking, but it didn't persist past one poo and she was fine again with normal poos. Today she did a normal poo, then a slightly looser one but not yellow. But she is a bit quiet with obviously a sore tummy.

She eats Orijen and certainly doesn't have too much, she grazes rather than eating it all at once so sometimes possibly doesn't have enough by the end of the day but she has all she wants and her weight is good. She is a chihuahua x yorkie, by the way.

Is this part and parcel with being a puppy and occasionally ingesting dodgy stuff on walks etc (as much as we may watch her I'm sure we miss the odd thing) or should I be more worried?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't like to second-guess in one so young. Can you pop her to the vet for a quick check up?
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2012, 11:19 AM
She has a vet appointment now at 1530. I'm just a bit worried they'll say I should put her on hills science plan which I don't really want to do. I'm open to changing her diet but not just to suit the whims of their sponsors.

Could it be giardia even when the symptoms are sporadic? I may suggest this to the vet.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Hi, sorry to hear little Pippa is having a problem. Both of mine would frequently have dodgy tummies when they were very young. They both ate all sorts of stuff when out in the garden and on walks, as much as I tried to stop them. As you know one of mine also ended up having an intolerance to beef, chicken and grain and it was months until I found a food that suited him.

How long has she been on Orijen? It is an excellent food and it is Orijen that eventually suited Rucksack, but some dogs apparently find it too rich. Regarding seeing the vet and them recommending Hill's, you don't have to feel embarrassed by saying no to them. If Pippa has been fine on Orijen for some time it is more likely to be something she has eaten.

As it has happened a few times you are wise to get her checked out as she is still so young. Hopefully the vet will simply put your mind at rest. Good luck and let us know how she gets on.

(How about some more photos. Please!!)
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Does she eat anything other than her main food, ie chews, treats etc?

May be worth keeping a check on exactly what she has and when and see if a pattern emerges
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks Jenny, she's been on Orijen for about 6 weeks and although had very occasional looser poos generally she's been fine. Its just recently the loose poo/vomiting incidents have seemed a bit closer together and more frequent. I'll see what the vet says but if they suggest changing the food ill come back on here for suggestions!

And just for you:

Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Does she eat anything other than her main food, ie chews, treats etc?

May be worth keeping a check on exactly what she has and when and see if a pattern emerges
She does have treats for training, nature diet ones I think they're called, as they're soft so I can break them up smaller as she's only wee. She did have a puppy tubo chew yesterday...I'll keep an eye on those as she doesn't have them as regularly.

She also occasionally has yogurt frozen in a Kong but its not much and she's been having that a while.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Aw she is gorgeous Love the fact that she's kept her dark markings and its really easy to see what she is crossed with now she's a little older.
Thanks and let us know how you get on. Everything crossed!
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Ahem. Just remembered that the other day she managed to chew a hole into the playpen where we keep the cats bowls so she doesnt eat their food. Think I may have solved the mystery...
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 02:20 PM
As her tummy trouble hasn't been a daily thing, the cat food could easily be the cause. Any change of food intake for some dogs is more than they can cope with regarding their sensitive 'young' tummy.

If you think she seems OK in herself and are not worried by any odd behaviour it maybe an idea to cancel vet today and just see how she is after a day or so of only eating what you give her
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >