View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Muskrat
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2012, 05:45 PM

Training leads - are there any better than Halti brand ones?

We left our lead somewhere in the forest today. It was a really nice, thick rope purple horse lead rein, with a knot tied in the middle for holding onto to make it shorter. I am more than a little bit sad

We're getting a *whispers*puppy*whispers* soonish and I was going to be buying a new lead anyway, so I thought I might as well get two.

So, I want something at least 2m long (I have a 10m one for puppy recall already and feel that 120cm leads are too short for normal walking), preferably double ended and comfortable to hold. And in a nice colour if possible as puppy is a staffie and I would like him to look as approachable as possible - people are already frightened to approach our SBTxEBT!

I found some nice colour ones on Ebay, but some were made by a company who also make prong collars and some were made from nylon webbing stuff and looked really uncomfortable.. so I'm happy to compromise on the colour!

Am I going to get better than the Halti ones?
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Hello!

I just have a Pets At Home lead, works just as well as a halti one, although I have never had a Halti one!

(We need to organise another walk soon!)
Muskrat
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Yes! Puppy will be all vaccinated and things by mid Julyish, so maybe one for sometime then? I'm sure I can carry him if he gets tired/it's too much for him. He needs some water loving dogs to teach him to swim - Emmie is rubbish!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 06:00 PM
If you are not looking specifically for a training lead then I use a 6 foot lead (which is around 185cm). It has a ring at the end of it so you can clip one end to the other.

You can get them in a variety of pretty colours and can have the dogs number engraved on one, which I like incase the tag falls off.

I got mine here
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-06-2012, 06:01 PM
My vote would be the Halti ..
Can not be beaten on value ...
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but I am very fond of my training lead from this ebay seller - and there are lots of different colours available. I'm waiting for my girl dog so I can get one in lilac too
Muskrat
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
You can get them in a variety of pretty colours and can have the dogs number engraved on one, which I like incase the tag falls off.

I got mine here
I would quite like one with D-rings down the length, but having an embroidered one would actually be really useful... argh more variables!

Jess - those ones might be perfect.. thank you! Now I need someone who can embroider things..
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Halti claim that their leads are made from a material that won't burn your hands if pulled fast throught them. I have a variety of training leads, but think Halti gets my vote.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Do they still make the Halti in red , might be a compromise on colour ?..
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
Jess - those ones might be perfect.. thank you! Now I need someone who can embroider things..
Glad to be of service I have found mine to be of very good quality and comfortable on the hands, and I use it virtually every day. They're available with standard non-brass fittings as well if that's what you'd prefer.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >