Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bfetterman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Dog and cat wrestling?

I'm happy to say that my little man has gotten much better when it comes to nipping my husband and I! There's no longer any rough play (at least until he gets older and is better trained) and he knows "no bite" too!

Now though, one of my cats has started to wrestle with him. When he's playing he acts as if he doesnt hear anything and no amount of "no bite" or calling him to me will get his attention. The cat is usually the one to initiate the wrestling (I'm pretty sure he thinks he's a dog) but is this something that I should let happen. My pup is going to outsize him one day, and whilst he doesnt chase our cats or anything, I don't want either of them to be hurt.

He's a GSD X Staffie though he seems to be taking on more characteristics of the GSD.

Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Oh I was expecting to find a piccie of the dog/cat wrestling match!
bfetterman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2012, 01:32 PM
lol I actually never thought about taking one when they are wrestling! I do have one where my pup decided to sit on the cats head though

When they're wrestling, usually I have to keep my eyes on them to make sure Elric (the pup) doesn't get too rough. He seems to get really upset if the cat gets the upper hand
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Mine sometimes do this. I think it actually teaches him a bit of restraint, as he gets a claw in the nose if he pushes it too far.

It is also usually the cat who starts it, by leaping on his neck as if bringing down a wildebeest!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Mine sometimes do this. I think it actually teaches him a bit of restraint, as he gets a claw in the nose if he pushes it too far.

It is also usually the cat who starts it, by leaping on his neck as if bringing down a wildebeest!
Cat reverting to 'big cat' type and dog probably wishing it was a wildebeest when the cat has it by the neck!
bfetterman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post

That's what I thought as well! My pup usually backs off if the cat swats him. Something must have happened this morning though because my pup was growling and lunging at the cat while he was cornered. It was as if they had an argument because the cat was obviously displeased and my pup looked like he was livid. I intervened and they both settled down, but it scares me to think what would happen to the cat if my little man wasn't so little.

P.S. your cat sounds like quite the character! Mine loves to do sneak attacks, scares the bejeezus out of my pup sometimes!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 02:25 PM
we get Cat wrestling the dogs, usually the two young ones wait in hiding places and pounce Mine love it
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2012, 04:53 PM
I personally don't allow it, every time I see it starting I step in and tell off the cat and pup. They now know what is acceptable for them both to do with each other. My pup is now 11 months and the cats curl up for cuddles but no play fighting as it can get out of control too fast. My guy is a GSP so like yours the size difference is vast, and not a chance I feel comfortable taking.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-06-2012, 05:33 PM
the cat will teach him better controlle of how to act around cats than you will ever be able to do,
as he gets bigger the cat will make sure he knows very clearly what is now to much, even with a dog the size he is going to be the cat will be boss
its no different than letting a big dog play with a small dog,
personally i think you should take advantage of them enjoying each other not just liking each other
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Wow, you puppy is gorgeous So pleased the nipping is now sorted - well done