Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charliegirl1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Walking dog along side of mobility scooter

Hi everyone, I have a Lakeland Cross Terrier who I have been trying to train to walk alongside my mobility scooter but I finally gave in last summer as she was keep getting caught in the wheel and I was frightened I was going to break her little bones can anyone give me any advice on how to walk her without this happening, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey! I have just responded to your post on thread

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=96415

I am not sure what size scooter you have but it should be easy enough to work out a way of tethering her to it so that she cannot get tangled in the wheels. With both my Little One and then Pereg I started going so very slowly, and only drove a bit faster once they were used to the scooter.

Good luck!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey Sounds like you need one of those attachments that some bikers use to take their dogs out, and I think it's called a springer or something similar?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...ng_leads/13166

There are lots of versions out there and it's a lot safer for your dog than just tying a lead to your scooter.
charliegirl1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks I looked on the site but its more from a bike rather than a scooter but I agree Id feel safer if she was attached to something rather than nothing, will keep searching but thanks again for replying.
charliegirl1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks Malka will keep looking for something suitable, as she is only a small dog although bright not bright enough to stop herself getting run over and it makes me real nervous hence why Ive stopped taking her out tied to scooter...
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

03-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by charliegirl1 View Post
Thanks Malka will keep looking for something suitable, as she is only a small dog although bright not bright enough to stop herself getting run over and it makes me real nervous hence why Ive stopped taking her out tied to scooter...
Please do not stop taking her out - let her get used to the scooter and you get used to taking her out while you are on it. It sounds like your nervousness about possibly running her over might transfer to her, and how else can you take her out for walks?

I have looked at the link Helena posted but am not too sure how or where you would attach it to a mobility scooter though.

My Little One was only ~5 kilos when I got my first road scooter, but she got used to it very quickly, and Pereg has not known anything but going out with me on one - I think you might need a bit more confidence, and maybe a good dog trainer can help you sort out the best way to tie your dog to your scooter so she is safe?
charliegirl1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Ah Malka I assure you I do still take her out couldnt do that to her she means way too much to me she is my only companion, I got the scooter last July hoping to take her further afield but as I said she does tend to get under the wheels, but I do take her for a walk at least once a day weather permitting, she gets around my block plus a run on a field some days if its nice and dry she gets a ball play too. I am an amputee and cant walk too well or far but I still manage to get her out. Your correct though it is a bit of confidence I lack I also worry a bit that the scooter will run out of power or something, if I had someone to go with me until I got the hang of it that would be good but sadly I need to just bite the bullet and just do it, this I know good sound advice just not able to do this for the moment but my sister is visiting shortly so then we can go together then practice makes perfect right, hopefully. Thanks for keeping in touch though much appreciated. Hazel x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

04-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by charliegirl1 View Post
Ah Malka I assure you I do still take her out couldnt do that to her she means way too much to me she is my only companion, I got the scooter last July hoping to take her further afield but as I said she does tend to get under the wheels, but I do take her for a walk at least once a day weather permitting, she gets around my block plus a run on a field some days if its nice and dry she gets a ball play too. I am an amputee and cant walk too well or far but I still manage to get her out. Your correct though it is a bit of confidence I lack I also worry a bit that the scooter will run out of power or something, if I had someone to go with me until I got the hang of it that would be good but sadly I need to just bite the bullet and just do it, this I know good sound advice just not able to do this for the moment but my sister is visiting shortly so then we can go together then practice makes perfect right, hopefully. Thanks for keeping in touch though much appreciated. Hazel x
Hi Hazel - I meant keep taking her out with the scooter, even if it is just round the block, so she gets used to it and how to walk/run alongside it, and you get used to driving it with her.

It sounds to me that you lack confidence using the scooter itself, so is it possible to leave your girl and just go out yourself, as I say, just going round the block to start with until you are 100% happy with it?

As for being worried that the scooter will run out of power, what make/model is it? If I can check the specifications I can possibly advise more, and see what you can do to make sure your little girl cannot get hurt while using it.

Incidentally, did you buy the scooter new from a reputable dealer? If so they should have given you all the help/advice you need before you bought it. Plus you should have been able to try it out to see how you could cope with it.

Do not give up with it - without my scooter my dog would not be able to go out at all - that is the only reason I have ever had one - for taking the dog out for walks!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Tupac loves to go next to my mums mobility scooter

there is no need for her to go 'under the wheels' its an extension of heelwork...positive reinforcement/clicker training and time is what it will take
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Oh I do hope you can make some progress with it when your sister is there to support and help you.

I admire you for going to so much trouble to make sure your dog gets exercise. I know some fully abled people who never take their dogs for a walk.

I know what you mean about worrying about the dog getting tangled up. I was always tripping over Bella when she was younger and I was just walking around my apartment!

I wish you luck with this.

editing to say I am now searching the web on this subject!

Found this:
http://www.scootaround.com/partners/...eash/index.htm
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »