Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 10:11 PM

Seminar on Zoopharmacognosy with Caroline Ingrahm 7 October, Kidderminster

Presented by Canine Massage Therapy Centre

In the wild animals instinctually know which plants help them to maintain health but domesticated animals don’t often have the access to what they need. Essential oils, plant essences, clays, specific tree barks, berries, seaweed...the list goes on. By understanding better these compounds and why animals select them we can help to better understand our animals health and create a richer envioronment for them.

· Why do animals select certain types of plants to eat and not others?

· What is it within these plants that can help them to regain their health?

· How do they know what to select to help heal their bodies?

· How we can we help our animals by having a better awareness of what they may need in their environment?

This fascinating 1 day seminar is a rare opportunity; the world renowned Caroline Ingraham (Director of the Ingraham Academy and Author of the book ‘Animal Aromatics’) will be speaking on ‘Zoopharmacognosy’; the process by which non-Human animals self-medicate, by selecting and using plants, soils, and insects to treat and prevent disease. Coined by Dr. Eloy Rodriguez, a biochemist and professor at Cornell University, the word is derived from roots zoo ("animal"), pharma ("drug"), and gnosy ("knowing"

This jam packed day consists of :

Caroline giving an introduction and overview to Zoopharmacognosy, supported by power-point and videos and to include:

· How animals have the capacity for self selection from a caterpillar, to domestic animal to wild animal

· How animals have evolved to use plant compounds

· Difference between primary and secondary metabolites

· Botany

· How to make up preparations

· Routes of self administration

· Olfaction and the vomeronasal organ

· How to work with behaviour

· Enriching an animals environment

· Why animals may select a toxic compound

So come along and join us you may just find out why your animal craves a certain substance, eats a certain type of grass or rolls in certain compounds or what the most commonly desired oils, plants and clays are and why. Whats missing in your animals environment and/or diet? We look forward to finding out......

The seminar will be held at:

Blakedown Parish Rooms

Belbroughton Road,

Blakedown,

Kidderminster,

Worcestershire

DY10 3JG

10 minutes off J4/M5 or J1 M42

Parking outside hall and a large park at rear. Please note that dogs are unable to come and participate in this seminar on the day.

Places are strictly limited to 35 people maximum so we recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.

£55 per person. Tea, Coffee, Biscuits provided.

Bring your own lunch

10am – 4pm

For more information on Zoopharmacognosy see the Ingraham Academy website here http://www.ingraham.co.uk/

Or to read an article about Zoopharmacognosy with Dogs click here
https://sys.ubersopht.com/CanineMass...ne_massage.pdf

Caroline has been working with essential oils since qualifying with the Tisserand Institute over 20 years ago. Her work is constantly evolving as she researches the use of essential oils, macerates and other natural substances.Caroline founded the International School of Animal Aromatics in 1995 and is responsible for training the founders of schools, associations and guilds.. Students who qualify and gain her Diploma are expected to work with integrity and follow the guidelines for continued professional development.

Her work with animals and aromatics is internationally acknowledged and she is in demand as a speaker for professional bodies such as the British Holistic Veterinary Medicine Association, the PIA and IFPA. Her books, `Aromatherapy for Horses`, published by Kenilworth Press and the `Aromatherapy for Animals` workbook have become a must for aromatics users.

Caroline is qualified as a Marine Mammal Medic and is also able to use her knowledge of plant medicines in this field.

Caroline has demonstrated her work on many television documentaries, including a program with David Bellamy and a National Geographic presentation. She has recently appeared on ITV in "Talking to Animals" and on Radio 4 talking on Animal Self Selection.

http://www.k9-massage.co.uk/Caroline-Ingraham-Zoopharmacognosy-Seminar.asp?nCat_ID={0F8696DB-9E13-431D-A2DA-8B8718B38471}&src=WORKSHOPS%5F10188%2Easp
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2012, 06:21 AM
Bumping this up in case anyone missed it
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-07-2012, 01:11 PM
An interesting subject however according to the RCVS guide to professional conduct:

2. Treatment by acupuncture, aromatherapy, homoeopathy or other complementary therapy may only be administered by a veterinary surgeon who should have undergone training in these procedures. At present, it is illegal for them to be given by practitioners who are not veterinary surgeons.

There are some exceptions including :

i. the animal owner, a member of his household or his employee, who may carry out minor medical treatment.

Bearing in mind that most self-employed behaviourists, trainers, dog walkers and dog sitters are their own employer/employee and would consider themselves to have “clients” or "customers" not employers, which is a different relationship, there is the potential to fall foul of the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966.

Those giving unpaid advice to people unconnected to them in the exceptions given above would be even less likely to have the "employee" protection, bearing in mind one would have to be the employee of the owner of the animal, not e.g an employee of a charity giving advice for animals not owned at that time by the charity.

Technically this presumably could even be argued to apply to catnip and pheromones etc.

I see potential for interesting legal arguments!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2012, 05:07 PM
I am really not sure what your post has got to do with this thread?

Why you have not posted the same on the Massage Therapy, and other threads on seminars such as this?

I am well aware of the Veterinary Surgeons Act of 1966 as are the providers of this course.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am really not sure what your post has got to do with this thread?

Why you have not posted the same on the Massage Therapy, and other threads on seminars such as this?

I am well aware of the Veterinary Surgeons Act of 1966 as are the providers of this course.
You may well be, but others reading it or with an interest in the subject may not be, as would appear to be the case with some commercial practioners currently working in some "alternative" therapies such as flower therapies.

Do feel free to cross post it on the other threads you mention if you wish

As for why I posted it, that woudl be due to its relevance to the subject matter of this thread
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
You may well be, but others reading it or with an interest in the subject may not be, as would appear to be the case with some commercial practioners currently working in some "alternative" therapies such as flower therapies.

Do feel free to cross post it on the other threads you mention if you wish

As for why I posted it, that woudl be due to its relevance to the subject matter of this thread
sounds like a dumb OTT law to me
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Well I cannot speak for others, I only post courses which are delivered by the appropriately qualified professionals who are fully cognisant of the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966 and whose codes of ethics/professional conduct do not breach that legislation.

I cannot see that your post has any relevance to this thread at all, but unconnected discourse is a useful tool as we have explored on other threads.

I will have 1/2 lb very thinly sliced please.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
sounds like a dumb OTT law to me

I would not say the legislation is dumb, but the fact that it has been referred to in this thread is about as relevant as referring to the Road Traffic Act 1988!
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I would not say the legislation is dumb, but the fact that it has been referred to in this thread is about as relevant as referring to the Road Traffic Act 1988!
The link you put up says, in part:

".... if you do one thing for
your dog’s health this year that make
it a visit with a qualified Zoopharmacognosy Practitioner! "

It does not say, as far as I have seen, that such a "practitioner" is also required to be a veterinary surgeon, and suggesting visiting "a qualified Zoopharmacognosy Practitioner" does not immediately suggest that one would only be visiting a member of the household, and the owner would hardly be visiting themselves.

I would have thought that that would make my link highly relevant, as presumably either this is covered in the course- hence it is relevant in that context, or it is not covered in the course, hence that omission is relevant imo

As it happens I also think this ruling can be OTT, depending on the circumstances, as in the original potential examples I gave, but that does not affect the relevance of raising in a thread about a course on that subject.

I guess we will just have to differ on that point.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 04:55 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
The link you put up says, in part:

".... if you do one thing for
your dog’s health this year that make
it a visit with a qualified Zoopharmacognosy Practitioner! "

It does not say, as far as I have seen, that such a "practitioner" is also required to be a veterinary surgeon, and suggesting visiting "a qualified Zoopharmacognosy Practitioner" does not immediately suggest that one would only be visiting a member of the household, and the owner would hardly be visiting themselves.

I would have thought that that would make my link highly relevant, as presumably either this is covered in the course- hence it is relevant in that context, or it is not covered in the course, hence that omission is relevant imo

As it happens I also think this ruling can be OTT, depending on the circumstances, as in the original potential examples I gave, but that does not affect the relevance of raising in a thread about a course on that subject.

I guess we will just have to differ on that point.

It does not say that such a practitioner is also required to be a veterinary surgeon, because such a practitioner is NOT also required to be a veterinary surgeon.

Any more than McTimoney Chiropractics, Hydrotherapists, Osteopaths, Physiotherapists etc are.

Neither are those who deliver seminars on any subject required to be Veterinary Surgeons last time I looked.

No idea where you have obtained this erroneous idea from?

So I repeat, your post is entirely without relevance and in addition your above statement is false.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >