Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 11:25 AM

Shes having the foot surgery :(

Well we went back to the vet last night over the cyst thats not actually a cyst. My normal vet agreed it is a mass that she has created so make walking more comfortable due to the splaying of her toes caused by a previous surgery. He strongly recommended the surgery as the mass has grown to a point is rubbing on floor and is just to big so will keep busting.

He also mentioned a surgery to tie the toes together so they wont splay out like they are but we decided against that one as he says its had limited sucess and less so in larger dogs so for me its not worth it.

Vet says as its taken her about 3 years to create this mass and for it to get to a point is so large it causing a problem it should take her about the same time to make another one so he thinks this surgery will last her out as if she is still with me in 3 years we wont even be considering surgery's unless to save her life.

We have booked it for next Friday as i am off work so can be at her beck and call should she need me. I cant have her in one of those stupid collars as her size is just sooooo big she struggles to get through doors and is constantly getting caught and banging stuff with it so i have ordered her some booties that im sure she will be thrilled about but so much better than a stupid collar and having to put bags on her feet to go outside. Vet also told me to stop the ab's as its not infected atall and they will offer no help what so ever (so im going to keep them for emergency's)

Feeling a bit down as i was hoping to avoid surgery if possible and just feel for my baby, its always something.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Good luck with the surgery.

Dillon has a splaying second digit on his rear right paw and the third digit is slightly enlarged to compensate for the digit splaying the orthopedic vet didn't feel anything needed to be done but I have been back in touch to see if they can do something about it. His it seems is through an injury. I have my suspicions about when it was and it was dismissed when questioned.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Hope all goes well. I'm sure you're doing the right thing.

*Hugs* xx
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Good luck with the surgery.

Dillon has a splaying second digit on his rear right paw and the third digit is slightly enlarged to compensate for the digit splaying the orthopedic vet didn't feel anything needed to be done but I have been back in touch to see if they can do something about it. His it seems is through an injury. I have my suspicions about when it was and it was dismissed when questioned.
Phoebes is from having the webbing removed due to getting huge cyst so now the outside toe almost goes sideways when she puts weight on it.

here it is

katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 12:10 PM
heres the lump, but this is an old picture its much bigger now

Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Poor Phoebe. I hope it all goes well.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Aw bless Phoebe I think you are doing the right thing while she is fit and healthy and it can only improve her comfort while walking.
Good luck for Friday and keep us informed.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Poor girl. I think your doing the right thing having the foot operated on. The foot looks sore.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Once the op is over and done with, Phoebe will be a lot more comfortable I am sure. I do feel for you though, because waiting for the event is always stressful and worrying - at least Phoebe is blissfully ignorant of her impending visit to the vet!

I will keep my fingers crossed for lots of dry weather for you - it makes visits outside so much easier if the boot doesn't have to be swathed in plastic bag.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Dont need to worry for dry weather ive bought booties anc they are mainly faux leather so should keep it all dry.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >