Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kelpiemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2012, 09:53 PM

Why is my dogs itching there belly and legs

A few of my dogs are itchy on there belly's and legs Kizzy had licked her shoulder raw she has red sores on it she is on antibiotics but she is still itching her belly and legs so is Holly my baby girl she has little sores on her belly and she is licking and nibbling her belly and legs a couple of the other dogs are scratching belly and legs as well I have frontlined them all and there is no sign of fleas will there wasn't before i did them there skin looks white and healthy but the vet said it wouldn't harm them to frontline them just incase has anyone got any ideas what it could be Please it is driving me mad with worry
ScouseWolf
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Could be an allegy to something in their environment
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 09:57 PM
When did this start? What sort of dogs do you have?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Have they been in grass, years back I had a similar thing and it turned out to be mites, naked to the eye.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Sounds like an allargy, with so many of them having it then I would wonder if somewhere you walk them has had something sprayed thats a bit nasty

Your ver is the best to help but I would prob also try keeping them off grass for a few days, walk somewhere different and give them a wash when you get in just to see

mind you could be something in the house or garden too - have you changed washing poweder or put new carpet down or anything
Or changed food?
kelpiemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2012, 10:40 PM
They have not realy been in long grass and the one that is worse affected is my 15 year old bc she hasn't been anywhere my other dogs are working kelpies and GSD's they have been on the bridle path its is quite muddy where we are the grass mite's is interesting how did you find out what it was and what symptoms was there
kelpiemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Kizzy BC was scratching just over a week ago but nothing to realy worry me Holly Kelpie started bigining last week I went to the vets on thursday when Kizzy had been at her leg and made it sore I just rushed her up there they put her on ab's and did a sellotape test and looked under the microscope to see it they could see anything but they couldn't I was scared it could be mange but the vet said it also affects the ears and they are very itchy my dogs ears are ok I did have a foster dog in around january that was a bit itchy but she went in feb
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 07:04 AM
You could try a spot-on that treats mites like Stronghold?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by kelpiemad View Post
A few of my dogs are itchy on there belly's and legs Kizzy had licked her shoulder raw she has red sores on it she is on antibiotics but she is still itching her belly and legs so is Holly my baby girl she has little sores on her belly and she is licking and nibbling her belly and legs a couple of the other dogs are scratching belly and legs as well I have frontlined them all and there is no sign of fleas will there wasn't before i did them there skin looks white and healthy but the vet said it wouldn't harm them to frontline them just incase has anyone got any ideas what it could be Please it is driving me mad with worry
Sounds like mange, but you need to have a vet take skin scrapings and examine them under a microscope to be absolutely sure. Our dogs intermittently get mange mites and we treat them with Advocate.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Sounds like contact allergy - legs & tum - ours are itchy too but we know its grass in the growing season, as is now. The grass doesnt need to be long, just growing. I too would stop walking where you have been taking them for week
Or so to see if it eases.