Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2012, 03:25 PM

Howling...

So Bella has found her beagle voice....hmmm. Which consists of getting in position to let out a very long, loud howl - hah!

Anyway...question - she only seems to howl at this one particular dog?! We walk past dogs every morning, whether she has met them before or not, and she is fine...she gets excited, but no noises.

This dog, she spots, and howls the whollleee way until we say hello. I've tried getting her attention with treats, 'watch me', encourage to run in a different direction (to which she refuses, and then her head gets all scruffled up from her collar hah)

The lady told me a while ago he is a rescue dog, and is quite nervy....which you can tell he is, jumps at the slightest move bless

Do you think Bella picks up on this - even from metres away!? Its just strange that she only howls at this one dog?
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2012, 08:34 AM
no one? Hmm...
theo&milly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Theo is friendly to all people and other dogs & usually runs to greet people for a fuss but sometimes we go past a person and he quietly switches sides and walks past without really looking at them. He also speeds up so it seems like he wants to get past as soon as he can. I'm starting to think that he has an intuition for people that might be untrustworthy in some way and avoids them. It's weird because it doesn't happen often but when it does his body language completely changes. So possibly Bella has read the other dog and is giving him plenty of warning of her impending arrival maybe she's just reassuring him that she's happy to see him in her own vocal way.
theo&milly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2012, 10:11 AM
What I meant was I think dogs adapt their behaviour to different dogs and situations like people do and maybe that's her specific greeting for tgat particular dog. I'm no expert tho hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be on in a minute to give a better explanation
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 10:16 AM
This isnt really much help but my Basset is similar but instead she howls at dogs in the distance. When they get close she tries to behind me until she gets her nerve up and then tried to do a little sniff. Shes a nervy girl