register for free
View our sister sites
Breedia
Over 50s Forum
Catsey
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
ljru1970 is offline  
Location: Cressing, UK
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 533
Female 
 
18-04-2012, 09:43 AM

Nutrivet Instinct

Just seen this food pop up on Zooplus.

The icontent breakdown is as follows:


•80% meat

•20% fruit & vegetables

•0% cereals

•Guaranteed GMO-free

•Not tested on animals

•Soya and dairy free

•No artificial colouring, flavourings or chemical preservatives


I've just started my pup on Orijen, but this is half the price

Anyone use this, or have any thoughts on it, particularly in comparison to Orijen?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
SLB is offline  
Location: Nottingham, UK
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,527
Female 
 
18-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Ingredients:
Herring (min. 13%), salmon (min. 11%), cod (min. 9%), sardines (min. 9%), potatoes, peas, oils & fats (chicken), (min. 7%), dehydrated mackerel (min. 7%), dehydrated pollock (min. 5%), dehydrated whiting (min. 4%), bass (min. 2%), dehydrated seabream (min. 2%), dehydrated hake (min. 2%), dehydrated chicken (min. 2%), powdered eggs (min. 2%), salmon oil (min. 2%), fish oil (min. 2%), dehydrated spelt protein, beetroot pulp, green beans, lentils, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, apples, alfalfa, spinach, chicory root, yeast, fennel leaves, lingon berries, pomegranate pulp, blackcurrant jelly, vitamins & minerals, dehydrated plasma protein, hydrolysed poultry livers, grape seeds, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), mannan-oligosaccharides (MOS), taurine, fucus vesiculosus extract (bladderwrack), ascophyllum nodosum extract (rockweed), yucca schidigera extract, chondroitin sulphate, N-acetyl-glucosamine sulphate, methyl-sulfonyl-methane, mint leaf, L-carnitine tartrate, rosemary extract, green tea extract

EC additives: Natural tocopherol-rich extracts, phosphoric acid

Analysis:
Protein: 40.00%, fat: 16.00%, moisture: 10.00%, ash: 6.50%, fibre: 2.00%, linoleic acid: 7.50% (min.), vitamin A: 24000 IU/kg, vitamin D3: 2500 IU/kg, vitamin E: 500.00 mg/kg, vitamin C: 200.00 mg/kg, vitamin K: 2.00 mg/kg, vitamin B1: 30.00 mg/kg, vitamin B2: 28.00 mg/kg, vitamin B3: 65.00 mg/kg, vitamin B5: 80.00 mg/kg, vitamin B6: 12.00 mg/kg, vitamin B7 (choline): 4000 mg/kg, vitamin B8 (biotin): 6.00 mg/kg, vitamin B9: 12.00 mg/kg, vitamin B12: 0.45 mg/kg, taurine: 850 mg/kg, calcium: 1.40%, phosphorus: 1.20%, magnesium: 0.09%, potassium: 0.70%, sodium: 0.30%, iron: 450 mg/kg, copper: 15.00 mg/kg, manganese: 75.00 mg/kg, zinc: 380 mg/kg, iodine:6.00 mg/kg, selenium: 0.60 mg/kg

(These will be helpful for other members) It sounds good on paper.. Someone with more knowledge about dry food will be able to tell you more though.
Reply With Quote
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
ljru1970 is offline  
Location: Cressing, UK
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 533
Female 
 
18-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Ingredients:
Herring (min. 13%), salmon (min. 11%), cod (min. 9%), sardines (min. 9%), potatoes, peas, oils & fats (chicken), (min. 7%), dehydrated mackerel (min. 7%), dehydrated pollock (min. 5%), dehydrated whiting (min. 4%), bass (min. 2%), dehydrated seabream (min. 2%), dehydrated hake (min. 2%), dehydrated chicken (min. 2%), powdered eggs (min. 2%), salmon oil (min. 2%), fish oil (min. 2%), dehydrated spelt protein, beetroot pulp, green beans, lentils, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, apples, alfalfa, spinach, chicory root, yeast, fennel leaves, lingon berries, pomegranate pulp, blackcurrant jelly, vitamins & minerals, dehydrated plasma protein, hydrolysed poultry livers, grape seeds, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), mannan-oligosaccharides (MOS), taurine, fucus vesiculosus extract (bladderwrack), ascophyllum nodosum extract (rockweed), yucca schidigera extract, chondroitin sulphate, N-acetyl-glucosamine sulphate, methyl-sulfonyl-methane, mint leaf, L-carnitine tartrate, rosemary extract, green tea extract

EC additives: Natural tocopherol-rich extracts, phosphoric acid

Analysis:
Protein: 40.00%, fat: 16.00%, moisture: 10.00%, ash: 6.50%, fibre: 2.00%, linoleic acid: 7.50% (min.), vitamin A: 24000 IU/kg, vitamin D3: 2500 IU/kg, vitamin E: 500.00 mg/kg, vitamin C: 200.00 mg/kg, vitamin K: 2.00 mg/kg, vitamin B1: 30.00 mg/kg, vitamin B2: 28.00 mg/kg, vitamin B3: 65.00 mg/kg, vitamin B5: 80.00 mg/kg, vitamin B6: 12.00 mg/kg, vitamin B7 (choline): 4000 mg/kg, vitamin B8 (biotin): 6.00 mg/kg, vitamin B9: 12.00 mg/kg, vitamin B12: 0.45 mg/kg, taurine: 850 mg/kg, calcium: 1.40%, phosphorus: 1.20%, magnesium: 0.09%, potassium: 0.70%, sodium: 0.30%, iron: 450 mg/kg, copper: 15.00 mg/kg, manganese: 75.00 mg/kg, zinc: 380 mg/kg, iodine:6.00 mg/kg, selenium: 0.60 mg/kg

(These will be helpful for other members) It sounds good on paper.. Someone with more knowledge about dry food will be able to tell you more though.
Thanks . I wasn't sure about spelt protein, that's a grain isn't it? & dehydrated plasma protein
Reply With Quote
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
SLB is offline  
Location: Nottingham, UK
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,527
Female 
 
19-04-2012, 02:05 PM
I asked elsewhere as no one else has answered you, and got told that if that member wasn't feeding another food she would give this one a go.

She also said that it is similar to Orijen - so if you want to feed it I think you should - it sounds like a good quality food.
Reply With Quote
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
zoeyvonne is offline  
Location: United Kingdom
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,703
Female 
 
19-04-2012, 02:18 PM
I wasnt sure what spelt was but found this

What is Spelt and why do you use it?
Believed to be among the most ancient of cultivated cereals, spelt is a type of wheat that was highly favoured by the Romans. Spelt has a very low allergenic profile, so is ideally suited to dogs that have allergies to gluten. Here at Lily's Kitchen we are the only pet food to use spelt in our recipes. It's high water solubility makes Spelt very easily absorbed in the body and hence easily digested. Because it is not a hybridized grain like wheat it is higher in protein, vitamins (including B & E) & minerals.
Reply With Quote
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
zoeyvonne is offline  
Location: United Kingdom
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,703
Female 
 
19-04-2012, 02:27 PM
and dehydrated plasma protein seems to be what they extract from blood

Plasma proteins are proteins found in the blood plasma, the clear, protein-rich fluid which is left behind when platelets, red blood cells, and white blood cells are removed from the blood. These proteins play a number of important roles in the human body, and levels of plasma proteins are sometimes evaluated in a laboratory analysis to gather information about a patient's general health and specific health issues which a patient may be experiencing. Plasma proteins make up around 7% of the total blood volume, with levels which can fluctuate at times.
Reply With Quote
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
ljru1970 is offline  
Location: Cressing, UK
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 533
Female 
 
19-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I asked elsewhere as no one else has answered you, and got told that if that member wasn't feeding another food she would give this one a go.

She also said that it is similar to Orijen - so if you want to feed it I think you should - it sounds like a good quality food.
Ahh, thank you for doing that. Seems strange that no one else has commented, maybe it's a new food.
Reply With Quote
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
ljru1970 is offline  
Location: Cressing, UK
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 533
Female 
 
19-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
I wasnt sure what spelt was but found this

What is Spelt and why do you use it?
Believed to be among the most ancient of cultivated cereals, spelt is a type of wheat that was highly favoured by the Romans. Spelt has a very low allergenic profile, so is ideally suited to dogs that have allergies to gluten. Here at Lily's Kitchen we are the only pet food to use spelt in our recipes. It's high water solubility makes Spelt very easily absorbed in the body and hence easily digested. Because it is not a hybridized grain like wheat it is higher in protein, vitamins (including B & E) & minerals.
So it's a grain then, thought so. Never seen plasma protein in a food before
Reply With Quote
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Tupacs2legs is offline  
Location: london.uk
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,956
Female 
 
19-04-2012, 08:55 PM
spelt is a sneaky one imo......
Reply With Quote
DavidWDF
New Member!
DavidWDF is offline  
Location: UK
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 10
Male 
 
20-04-2012, 06:33 AM
This variety looks pretty good to me (some others I'm less convinced by).

The meat content is:

44% fresh meat, 22% dry meat, ~12% chicken and fish oils and 2% eggs.

By any standards this is very impressive but '80% meat' is quite misleading as about 12% is added oils and 2% is egg. 44% is also fresh meat so once the moisture has been removed the true dry meat content would work out at about 39% (note that Orijen also uses a high proportion of fresh meat). Still very good but not nearly as much as it first appears.

I can't understand why they have used spelt protein . The food has a whopping 40% protein so extra protein supplementation really shouldn't be necessary and although spelt is far less allergenic than common wheat and should not cause any problems, it will still raise a lot of concerns among grain-sceptics.

Plasma protein is a good source of animal proteins, but again I can't see why they feel like they need to top-up their protein levels .

The other ingredients are really very good - an excellent variety of high quality fruits and vegetables and plenty of beneficial natural supplements.

The price is fantastic and the feeding amounts are quite low making it extremely economical to feed.

Overall, I would say that it's not quite as good as Orijen but outstanding for the money.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone tried Natural Instinct? firefox Dog Health 5 20-06-2010 03:25 PM
The Hunting Instinct kyektulu General Dog Chat 71 07-08-2007 11:19 PM
Pet Dogs And Instinct Lucky Star Training 20 07-03-2006 12:26 PM

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top