Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fergie's mum
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:10 AM

Older dog snappy with puppy.

Morning everyone,
My 16 year old daughter has just got her 8 week old puppy. Unfortunately my 6 year old dog Fergie hasn't taken it too well. He has had all the attention up until now.We have only had Lou Lou for 2 days but his playfulness has turned into herding her, snapping at her twice, where on both occasions he has nipped her. (The first time was when I had left the house and my daughter was with them). As soon as she had cried though he backed off, until this morning when I had to pull him off her.
We have put him first in as making sure he is still greeted and made a fuss of first, and I have put his food down before the pups. But he is trying to totally dominate her.
Should I ask my daughter to hand over control of puppy to me so that Fergie sees the puppy as mine until things calm down. Or would that open another can off worms? Fergie is 38 kg and Lou Lou is 2kg. He hasn't drawn blood, and I want to prevent it happening. Does anyone one have any sound advise as to how to improve the situation for both dogs.
Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Its not uncommon.

You need to supervise and never leave him alone with the pup which you obviously know, it won't make any difference to Fergie who owns the pup, he won't know, all he see is a new pup in his home.

The nipping could be a issue for the pup (ouch) I know our eldest Skye did this to Tess when we first got her, it might be a good idea to get a grate for the pup so that there are safe times and Fergie can still see the pup but do no damage.

As there has been no blood drawn (atm) that suggests that Fergie has bite control but obviously you don't want a further episode of having to pull him off, as his weight alone could cause harm.

This is a case where introductions are done in a controlled manner and for short periods, either via a grate or stair gate visual if you feel that Fergie could be slightly OTT during this time a long lead on Fergie will help so that you can easily tread on it or pull him away a little,with a firm NO, beware that the pup may run straight up to him though as puppies are not born with the knowledge of ''better not he doesn't like me yet'' so perhaps a little lead on the puppy maybe useful too.

It will all take time 2 days is nothing, your older dog is ATM just telling the pup ''this is mine'' you just need to be vigilant during these early days.

Best wishes
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:35 AM
The older dog is quite justified in trying to teach the youngster manners. The pup will learn all sorts of things from the older dog - including not to pinch his dinner - so this is a good thing. However, if the older dog is getting fraught and bothered he may well go too far so keep an eye on the situation.
I would give the old dog somewhere to get away from the youngster, and feed them separately.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Agree with Stevie.

At 6 your boy is middle aged & set in his ways. Just make sure pup is never left alone with him & under circumstances, crates can be useful. Cover top & 3 sides to make a den for your pup to make it feel safe & secure & remember to crate 'train' not just shut her in it immediately
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:48 AM
With that sort of difference in size - 38kg vs 2kg - the bigger dog would not have to 'bite' or maul the pup to inflict severe damage - it could just come down hard on it with both front paws and do a lot of damage. I wouldn't leave them alone for a second while assessing the situation.
Fergie's mum
New Member!
Female 

18-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Thank you all for your words of wisdom. I have the crate and feed them separately. I am also watching them carefully. Fortunately Fergie seems to be aware that his size is an issue and is very careful of his paws when walking near her, but being a puppy she has a thing for feet and paws and think they make great chew toys. I'm also making sure he is getting his exercise and time away from her, and she is getting her down time too.
Fergie's mum
New Member!
Female 

13-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I am glad to say that both dogs get on very well now, Fergie has become very protective of Lou Lou and also another puppy that we go on walks with. He is turning out to be a very good role model. If she is chewing something she shouldn't and he sees, he will get a toy and push it at her as a deterrent. I am very proud of them both and look forward to many fun times with them both.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 09:06 PM
That is great news and what a relief for you and your daughter .... not to mention your pup

Thanks for letting us know - it is really nice to have a 'follow-up' on a previous concern.

How about some photos of them both, please!!
Fergie's mum
New Member!
Female 

22-07-2012, 03:44 AM
Hi Jenny, I have put some photos of my dogs on my first post. Took me ages to figure out how to upload them.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 07:46 AM
I have just looked at the two photos of Fergie and Loulou. They are gorgeous
I am so pleased that things have calmed down now. I wish one of my dogs were older so he could teach the other one. As it is, being brothers, they are both convinced they are right