View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jess2107
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2012, 08:48 PM

Does anyone know what this is? Itchy eyes????

Hi
I was wondering if anyone else dog has had this problem, noticed it for a few weeks now, she is very itchy on her left eye. Its not her eye exactly, its the point above it, her eyes seem normal, no discharge or dryness.
The skin above and at the side of her eye has become very sore today when I left her for a few hours whilst I was out so looks like shes been constantly at it while iv been gone because usually I stop her from scratching it.
Heres a photo, not 100% clear but you can just make out the red bits.

xx
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-04-2012, 10:40 PM
hello there,i was wondering if you also see pink or reddish skin in the crotch area,may be food alergy?another would be itchy ears and feet.one of my dogs scratched an area on her leg,it looks simular to your dog.just a longshot guess,maybe a quick call to he vet ,to be sure its not something too serious.welcome and hope all goes well.
brittany
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2012, 10:43 PM
You "noticed it for a few weeks now" and "she is very itchy on her left eye". Why have you not taken her to the vet for proper, professional advice? No one here (even a vet) can tell you what this is, you have to take her to the vet. How long would you put up with this if it were you who had red, itchy and inflamed skin around your eye? She must be in a lot of distress. SEE YOUR VET!!
Jess2107
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Erm, excuse me brittany. The reason being, I thought it was hayfever and the only reason it was sore yesterday was because I had been at it while I had been out that morning
Most things these days can be treaten with stuff at home, so no, im not the kind of person to go dashing out the the vets as soon I notice a change, unless she was on deaths door. (of course) So dont USE CAPITALS AT ME! Thankyou.
and thanks 3dognight, she doesnt have it anywhere else, just on the one eye, I have thought it maybe the food, I swapped her from Wainwrights wet food to Lifestage dry food, I was concerned about it containing corn but the person who I spoke to at Jollyes said hes never heard of Corn giving any allergies, but to me, it seems to have been like it since I did change her to that, So im going to do a swap again onto skinners field and trial, duck and rice as this is hypoallergenic, Thanks very much
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Sounds like you may be right about the food then
any animal can be allergic to any food - and corn can and does cause allergies

Its deff worth trying. as that is so sore looking I would prob move back to the food she was on to let it settle before trying something new

Also still might be an idea to head down to the vets just to be sure

My first guess would have been hayfeaver at this time of the year - but thats prob because I have been watching Ben rub his muzzle all over the grass this morning (its not too bad with him but nothing helps)
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 01:27 PM
One of my dogs developed something very similar which spread to both eyes and down both front legs to the point that he wouldn't stop nibbling and they became infected. The vet tried all the usual things and then referred him to the vet school at Bristol uni. The only thing he reacted to was harvest mites although they only found a few on him. They are virtually invisible to the naked eye but do clump together so you may see orange pin heads of them.

The treatment was to spray his legs and face (using cotton wool balls for face) with Frontline every two weeks starting before and finishing after the harvest season. I have to admit that I didn't want to inflict that much FL on him so wasn't too strict with using it fortnightly. It did help though as he never had it to that extent again and he eventually grew out of it. He hasn't had it for some years. I realise there may be a more up to date treatment for it now but it could be a starting point.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 10:04 PM
It possible its a contact allergy. It maybe that she has rubbed her eye on something which has caused irritation i.e. a plant, floor cleaner etc etc. My last dog had a very itchy top lip and the itchy area never spread. The vet put it down to a contact allergy and eventually I was given some antibiotic cream (or it may have been a mild steroid cream I can't remember as it was about 10 years ago) to rub on it and it cleared up.
One of my current dogs has a food allergy and until I changed him onto a non cereal food he itched all over. The photo shows that her actual eye looks fine and the skin above doesn't look too bad to me.
Naturally, if it gets worse get her checked out, but it may help using some cotton wool soaked in black tea and dabbing the red area. Black tea is safe and I was actually told to use it to bathe my horses eyes when he had an infection. Possibly worth a try.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 10:19 PM
That looks similar to when Jake's food allergies started. It first appeared on one eye, then the other.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 10:21 PM
After three weeks, think perhaps it might be an idea to see your vet, it could be any number of things however it could also be conjunctivitis which is very uncomfortable and won't go away until treated with antibiotics.

If the vet thinks it is allergy he can give an injection which will ease the discomfort almost immediately and will last for a few days which will give the inflamed areas a rest and allow to heal. Vet can also advise on the usage of antihistamines.

We have dogs with allergies so do sympathise
brittany
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jess2107 View Post
Erm, excuse me brittany. The reason being, I thought it was hayfever and the only reason it was sore yesterday was because I had been at it while I had been out that morning
Most things these days can be treaten with stuff at home, so no, im not the kind of person to go dashing out the the vets as soon I notice a change, unless she was on deaths door. (of course) So dont USE CAPITALS AT ME! Thankyou.
and thanks 3dognight, she doesnt have it anywhere else, just on the one eye, I have thought it maybe the food, I swapped her from Wainwrights wet food to Lifestage dry food, I was concerned about it containing corn but the person who I spoke to at Jollyes said hes never heard of Corn giving any allergies, but to me, it seems to have been like it since I did change her to that, So im going to do a swap again onto skinners field and trial, duck and rice as this is hypoallergenic, Thanks very much
Originally Posted by Jess2107 View Post

you
stated that she had this for weeks and that she was very itchy. Not my words, yours.

I'm sure I wouldn't put up with a red, inflamed eye which was very itchy for weeks. Would you?

Dogs cannot choose to attend the vet or make a desicion to postpone it. They are completely at our mercy. An inflamed, itchy eye which has been causing irritation for weeks should be seen by a vet. Ignorant* guessess of what it might be are not substitute a for a vet consultation.

* I use the term advisedly.

and sorry if I offended you with capital letters