Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2004, 07:40 AM

Preventing bites during play

Hi guys

Azz if this is put in the wrong topic, will you move it please?

Well here goes:

I'm babysitting my friends GSD Bella and will be on and off for a while due to illness in the family.

Luna, my girl, and Bella have grown up together and always plays very well. And are very good together. Bella is 14½ months old, and Luna is 16 months old.

But, Bella has this annoying habit of grabbing Luna's leg while they play, and as I now have discovered a second scratch - this time on her hindleg - I'm getting more and more convinced its caused by Bella.

Now my question is this, what can I do to stop this? Shall I put Bella back on leash when she does this?.

I really want them to be able to run and play. To me it seems Luna is the topdog, but yesterday I was talking to a neighbour while the dogs were playing, and she said they looked very equial (sp?) so now I'm not sure. Bella is a bit bigger than Luna and a lot more boisterous and fast and can sometimes run Luna over. Luna just gets up and runs on. Oh and when Bella plays, she has sound on, you know a lot of yapping and growling, but no raised hairs on back.

If she gets too violent I put her back on leash.

I need some training advice aswell, but will put that post under training.

But if someone could help me with this problem I would be really happy, I dont like seeing Luna with scratches
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2004, 09:24 AM
I probably cant give as good advice as those of you out there who have had dogs alot longer, but i can tell you wot i think!

It doesnt seem like Bella is hurting Luna? I think if she was hurting her, then Luna would either stop playing or show her how much it hurt? if you get me?

My two are constantly biting each other in play and rolling around, andif Indie gets too much or hurts him, he growls and snaps back to warn her off.

I wouldnt worry too much about the scratches as it seems they are probably accidentle, even tho she grabs her leg alot.

not sure.. hopefulyl someone will be able to give you some better advice. Just my thoughts.
liberty
Dogsey Senior

18-08-2004, 11:17 AM
I'm no expert either, but it sounds like normal doggy play to me. As Jenny said, if Luna was being hurt, she would def let Bella know.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much, and just let them enjoy their 'fun fights'.

However if there was raised hackles, flattened ears and bared teeth, then that is aggressive behaviour.

HTH

libs
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2004, 11:22 AM
jeanette my two collies have scratches all the time where they playfight
i wouldn,t worry too much about it unless they really do look like they are fighting and not playing
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2004, 11:26 AM
My lot do the same. Unless there's any aggresive behaviour towards each other, I wouldn't worry to much.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Aaaawww guys thanx. You've all helped ease my worries (can I say that, or is that plain nonsens?)

Well no haggles are raised. I'm 110% sure its play!.

Once in a while if it gets to rough Luna whimpers and Bella pulls away!

So I should just let them play.

Wolfie, is it normal for a 14½ months old gsd to just be able to keep on going? She never relaxes. After playing I got them on leashes and walked to nearest town and back, about 2 hours all in all. Bella charges on, never relaxes and the faster pace the better.

And even after this walk she's still alert and bouncy!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Yes, it is normal Storm is still a live wire, even when she's been out. I think there has only been once when I've managed to settle her after a walk, and we'd been out for 4 hours.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Yeah she's so hyper!

And everytime the cat moves, she's there. She stalks the cat all the time. Really annoying. She has a cat at home, and do the exact same thing there. The cat has been there since Bella came, so its not because its something new!

She doesn't harm them, but will put her mouth over their head so they get wet.

Oliver the kitty dont mind, but I find it very irritating
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Hi Jeanette as everyone says this is just normal'children playing' and it is actually good for your dogs well being adding to there overall enjoyment of life. One small practical thing..make sure neither dog has long nails..you can trim them yourself (with clipper) but this is not always easy because it is hard to tell where the quick ends and nail begins, If unsure you can file them with a nail file..a human one will do the job and if Bella/Luna get a scratch bathe it in a saline solution..hope this helps Enjoy your baby sitting
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Hi guys

Mini:
Thanks

The girls go a lot on hard ground so dont have long nails, but I see your point.

The scratch has already started to heal nicely.

And another thing, I tend to let Luna of leash and keep Bella on leash some places, as I know Luna knows not to leave the sidewalk and stuff like that. Will this have any affect on their relationship?