View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NewRoc84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2012, 04:49 PM

Training dvds, recomendations needed please.

Hi there, im REALLY trying hard to re-train my Beagle who is only 10 months old and admittedly i know he is a playful pup but i want to TRY and get the basics (and posibly next steps) to maybe make ALL our lives a bit more happier and calmer...

so ANY recomendations for DVDs (needs to be quite informative with lots of pictures, and yes i know i have made myself sound like a child but i guess this is the only way im gonna learn to make him happy)

Please help me!!!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2012, 05:20 PM
I know you ask about dvds but I would recommend the book Train Your Dog Like A Pro to be honest. Comes with a free dvd showing you how the steps in the book are applied, the common mistakes people are making with training and is very easy to understand.

Other than that I don't know of any good dvds on training the basics (if there are any I'm sure someone will say). Might be worth a look at Kikopups YouTube channel, there are a lot of good videos there. Karen Pryors clicker training website has some free videos on training things too.

If you tell us exactly what you're having problems with we might be able to link to a video or site that will help with those problems
NewRoc84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2012, 05:30 PM
if im honest we had a trainer come in and "help" train our beagle but he eventually got the better of us... like barking for instance... trainer said to get him to bark then shushh him to stop him barking when he stops we click and treat... so what does he do barks ALL DAY LONG when he saw us he would stop there for we clicked and treated...

sitting... trainer said us we should tell him to sit click and treat and we did then he learnt to run and run and run (even after LONG walks/runs) then we tell him to sit he sits we click and treat then hes running again...

Come... same thing as both previous...

when we have visitors... i tell him to go to his bed (we dont have a crate YET) to calm himself down but the second it takes me to blink (no joke about this) thats it hes in here jumping up at guests WANTING affection... i tell him to get to his bed and he barks and whines again i take my eyes of him for a second and hes back there jumping... ive told my guests to ignor him to gently (this is not going to sound nice HOWEVER i say it) push him off but he sees it as some form of affection so wants more and jumps again...

so when i say basics well there it... toiliting in the house comes and goes but he is fussy and dont like going out when it is wet... not much i can do till we can get a gazebo... but the others are more important... i cant have him off leash because if i do he will obviously being a hunting dog RUN A MILE (and yes this has happened to me before) there is NOTHING i can do to get him back and just hope and pray that some kind person will get his attention and hold onto him whilst i catch up with him/person

any advice???
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Ok, why is he barking? What exactly does he want or get from barking constantly? Is it for attention? Because he's bored? Lonely? What I'd personally do for that problem would depend on the reason the dog is barking.

Sitting. So you've managed to get him to sit for a moment but as soon as you click and treat he gets up? That's fine by the way I use the clicker, click ends the behaviour and dog is free to move from the position. To build up duration of the sit I'd simply wait a second before clicking, then once that's reliable I'd wait 2 seconds and so on. I'm not sure from your post whether you're talking about inside or out on walks here but you need to do this in a low distraction area at first and build up to high distraction ones.

For the jumping up at guests for attention I wouldn't push him away, that's giving him attention. I'd have a house line on him and would remove him for 10-30 seconds every single time he jumped up. Yup, it's a pain in the ass but got good results with mine. I'd also work on the sit and teach him that the way to get things he wants is to sit nicely. He can't jump up if he's sitting down.

Recall...well you have a beagle and they're not known for their fabulous recall Doesn't mean you shouldn't try though and I know of some beagles who have a reasonably good recall. I'll see whether I can find a thread where Smokeybear has posted her recall training advice and link to it.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Here you go, 4th post down is Smokeybears recall training article.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=159016
NewRoc84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Ok, why is he barking? What exactly does he want or get from barking constantly? Is it for attention? Because he's bored? Lonely? What I'd personally do for that problem would depend on the reason the dog is barking.
ok if we let him outside he wont be out there for 10 seconds and he starts barking and beagles we know have LOUD barks and its just constant... we wait for him to stop... but he can go on... i think the longest he went for was 3 hours... (constantly barking) which when there are neighbours nearby its not very plesant to them... i think what he wants to get from barking is our attention again... (this makes me think "could he be just an attention seeker???" im not sure if that again came out right)

Sitting. So you've managed to get him to sit for a moment but as soon as you click and treat he gets up? That's fine by the way I use the clicker, click ends the behaviour and dog is free to move from the position. To build up duration of the sit I'd simply wait a second before clicking, then once that's reliable I'd wait 2 seconds and so on. I'm not sure from your post whether you're talking about inside or out on walks here but you need to do this in a low distraction area at first and build up to high distraction ones.
ok now you seem to be the first person who has made a bit more sense about waiting a little while before clicking and treating instead of expecting him to do it and know it... and i want him to be able to sit quite confidently without being over excited (tail wagging excesivly that his bum moves with it as well whilst he is trying to concentrate in to the sitting position if this makes sense)

For the jumping up at guests for attention I wouldn't push him away, that's giving him attention. I'd have a house line on him and would remove him for 10-30 seconds every single time he jumped up. Yup, it's a pain in the ass but got good results with mine. I'd also work on the sit and teach him that the way to get things he wants is to sit nicely. He can't jump up if he's sitting down.
we have tried what you have suggested with the house line and he has chewed up about 4... great i know and this is why in about 2 weeks time (payday) we WILL be getting him a crate to hopefully tackle this behaviour... as for the sitting when guests are round like i said i can get him to sit i have given him chewy bones and toys and you name it i have given it but the second i blink my eyes or turn my head that it hes jumping...

Recall...well you have a beagle and they're not known for their fabulous recall Doesn't mean you shouldn't try though and I know of some beagles who have a reasonably good recall. I'll see whether I can find a thread where Smokeybear has posted her recall training advice and link to it.
as for recall well i want everything else to be good first before i even TRY to attept recall...

im not trying to make out my beagle is bad or naughty (well he kinda is) im not trying to make out that i despise him im not trying to be completly negative about him yes he does have his good moment but they way i feel with his traning i fell they are very few and far between... i do love Rocky but i need for him to listen to us as oneday i fear that something bad will happen might be accidently but i just dont want to take that risk if you know what i mean...

and as for getting him fixed im waiting till he is two
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-01-2012, 06:11 PM
really liked sarah's post

all i would add is how are you keeping the pup stimulated?

there's things you can use such as stuffed kongs, bones, chew toys when you are occupied

and then there are games to play with you and the dog as well - lots to learn on the puppy books by gwen bailley and patricia mcconnell
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by NewRoc84 View Post
ok if we let him outside he wont be out there for 10 seconds and he starts barking and beagles we know have LOUD barks and its just constant... we wait for him to stop... but he can go on... i think the longest he went for was 3 hours... (constantly barking) which when there are neighbours nearby its not very plesant to them... i think what he wants to get from barking is our attention again... (this makes me think "could he be just an attention seeker???" im not sure if that again came out right)
Any particular reason you're just leaving him out there to bark? I'd bring him back in as soon as the barking started, if he can't be out there without barking then he doesn't get to be out there.

ok now you seem to be the first person who has made a bit more sense about waiting a little while before clicking and treating instead of expecting him to do it and know it... and i want him to be able to sit quite confidently without being over excited (tail wagging excesivly that his bum moves with it as well whilst he is trying to concentrate in to the sitting position if this makes sense)
Drop your expectations for now. If he's sitting he's sitting, the fact that he's controlling himself that much while clearly excited is wonderful. More self control will come with time and training If he's reliably sitting every time you ask in the house then I would start waiting 1 second after he sits before clicking and treating. Once he's reliably sitting until you click I'd move it up to 2 seconds. Ask him to wait too long for his treat and he'll lose interest, duration needs to be built slowly. And when you move on to doing this outside the house you'll need to start with the 1 second again.

we have tried what you have suggested with the house line and he has chewed up about 4... great i know and this is why in about 2 weeks time (payday) we WILL be getting him a crate to hopefully tackle this behaviour... as for the sitting when guests are round like i said i can get him to sit i have given him chewy bones and toys and you name it i have given it but the second i blink my eyes or turn my head that it hes jumping...
Unfortunately that's the way it goes I kept Rupert on a leash and tethered to me around guests or when we went visiting family at first, just so he couldn't jump up at people when I turned my attention from him for a second. A crate will keep him away from your visitors when you can't be actively training him but it won't teach him not to jump on them unfortunately.

as for recall well i want everything else to be good first before i even TRY to attept recall...

im not trying to make out my beagle is bad or naughty (well he kinda is) im not trying to make out that i despise him im not trying to be completly negative about him yes he does have his good moment but they way i feel with his traning i fell they are very few and far between... i do love Rocky but i need for him to listen to us as oneday i fear that something bad will happen might be accidently but i just dont want to take that risk if you know what i mean...

and as for getting him fixed im waiting till he is two
Neutering probably won't make the blindest bit of difference to his obedience so no big deal that he isn't done. I wouldn't neuter at his age either given the choice.

I despaired of Rupert ever having any manners or ever listening to me when I got him. He was an adult and had never been taught not to jump up, not to bite, not to hurl himself at people, grab their arms and swing them around and hadn't been taught any basic commands. You'll get there, it will just take time, patience and consistency
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Sarah has given some really good advice.

I have yet to watch the DVD yet, but I think train your dog like a pro by jean donaldson would be great for you. It is literally back to basics training, and it explains it in a pretty much fool proof manor so its great for beginners (both people and pets!)

With regards to barking in the garden; my dog does this at my parents house. I have found the most effective way is to put her on a long line. Let her out. The moment she begins barking I go and get her and put her inside for around 30 secs. She soon learns if she wants the fun of being in the garden it has to be quiet.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2012, 07:45 PM
I completely agree with Sarah. Train your dog like a pro sounds like exactly what you need. It's a great book for training the basics and ensuring they are really solid before moving on but teaches you how to set realistic goals.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >