Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 03:49 PM

Pork

Can someone tell me why when we are happy to feed our dogs beef, lamb, poultry and all sorts of game we hardly ever feed pork or at least not raw pork. Or is it that people don’t say they feed it. Ask as I am clearing out the freezer and have some pork that I do not want to use for us but would not wish to waste it.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-07-2005, 04:00 PM
I have given my dogs raw pork before, but Max refuses to eat it.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 04:00 PM
i find that pork is to rich for a dogs stomach and gives them the runs bad thats why i dont and will never feed mine pork made the mistake once never again
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

26-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Can someone tell me why when we are happy to feed our dogs beef, lamb, poultry and all sorts of game we hardly ever feed pork or at least not raw pork. Or is it that people don’t say they feed it. Ask as I am clearing out the freezer and have some pork that I do not want to use for us but would not wish to waste it.
I`ve been feeding raw pork to my lot since I changed them to raw, more than 4yrs ago now, never ever a problem with any of them. My last litter of 10 pups were reared on raw food, pork included in their diet as well
There was a lot of worry feeding pork years ago to humans but thats all gone now with health & safety EU regulations in meat these days. That maybe were the worries from?
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 04:12 PM
I feed pork - meat, bones, trotters, pigs ears, ham etc. As far as I know, people still don't like to feed pork thanks to an old wives tale (goddamn those old wives, they seem to get everywhere! )

Dogs can be sensitive to almost anything, and it might take a bit of getting used to if it's a completely new food. But personally I've never had any problems

Becs
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Christine
There was a lot of worry feeding pork years ago to humans but thats all gone now with health & safety EU regulations in meat these days. That maybe were the worries from?
That was what I was thinking Christine, when I was young they worried about the cysts in the muscle meat of pigs and sheep but with todays’ farmers controlling any parasites I don't think it is still a problem but it could be that the old worries have stuck in peoples brains and that is why we or I feel we should not feed it raw. Daft really as there must be more reason to worry about chicken and that seems to be the things every one uses when they feed raw that and tripe, enough said.

so think my dogs are in for a treat of pork fillet tomorrow.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

26-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Hi T, I`m pretty sure thats were the worries come from
You`re probably right with more worries with chicken re, anti/b`s/living conditions etc, its not one of the meat I give on a regular basis, more as I have it in on stand by!
Pork has a lot of very good nutrients & has always been v well tolerated by my lot, sure yours will be delighted with the fillet, any invites?????
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Thordell i was told of very strong one day they told me raw pork is poisen for dogs ? it damages there brains how true this is i don´t know but the person who told me knew a lot about dogs so i took his word for it, it come from old times when the the farmers used to feed ther dogs with rests of raw meat and gave them also raw pork thats how it was found out that it was not wise to do so.

Fred
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
just found this

http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/Advic...feeding/08.htm

Fred

http://www.pitbulllovers.com/health-...raw-diets.html

this said no
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Roxy
I have given my dogs raw pork before, but Max refuses to eat it.
Roxy just found this

NO raw pork, trichinosis is still an issue unless you are POSITIVE the meat you get is clean. It's a nasty little worm that does a lot of damamge. I don't feed pork product period, it's hard for them to digest.

NO raw salmon. It can have a liver fluke that can potentially destroy your dogs liver. Cooked or canned is fine. One part of feeding raw that happens across the board, unless it's a young pup, is detox. Their system has to get rid of all the garbage that has built up over years of feeding dry food, good or bad quality. It usually takes a month with the worst case scenarios.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »