Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2004, 11:01 AM

staffie biting on walks

hey all. i seem to be having problem with Indie on our walks. It happens aboiut 5 minutes in, and she jus turns around and starts growling at me and biting my legs.
I have tried just powering through and carrying on walkin and trying to keep her away from me, but she just comes back and bites again. Ihave also tried sitting her down for 5 minutes until she calms down, and when we start walking again she does the same thing.
It only seems to last about 10 mins and we somehow manage to finish the walk quite normally. Although i dont think it would have ended today had someone not come and said hello to her.
Can anyone enlighten me as to why she is acting this way? She used to be fine, but the last few times she has done it, no matter where we are in the walk.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2004, 03:13 PM
does anyone have any answers
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2004, 03:17 PM
I have no idea at all, soz Jen
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2004, 03:48 PM
no nor me sorry jen
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Hi Jenny yes..I think you will find Indie is playing with you This is the sort of thing pups do when playing with each other..play biting. There is one good thing Jenny...we obviously got over the won't walk thing As I said before I think it would help you a lot to go to a puppy class where you would meet lots of other people whose pups will be doing similar things,you can chat with the group about any little problem Indie has and show Indie off too ,she will be a hit I am sure When Indie playbite if you make a fuss or back off she will do it all the more thinkingyou are playing too Remember the golden rule..ignore or distract bad behaviour reward good. Try distract by taking a toy..one you just keep for walks..and use that to distract her substituting it for your leg . It sounds to me as though she is full of energy too,try having a play before you go for a walk so she is more tired.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2004, 05:27 PM
yep i would have to agree with minihaha she is just a puppy and seeing how far she can push you !

great advice minihaha
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2004, 07:16 PM
yes thank you so much for the advice
I will bring a ball or sumin with me next time and throw it for her.
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 04:13 AM
I think Mini's advice is exactly right, all around.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 10:09 PM
hi all. thanks for the advice. The last couple of walks i have taken a tennis ball with me and had indie carry it in her mouth, and if she dropped it i threw it for her, kept her away from my legs at least, and took her on a longer walk which calmed her down
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2004, 09:14 AM
ok guys.. back to this again. Its now the forth walk in a row where indie has turned around to bite me.. jumping up trying to grab my trouser legs or jacket.
I have tried taking a ball with me and throwing it for her, or simply getting her to carry it in her mouth. didnt work.
I have tried bringing a tug toy with me.. brand new so she wanted it... but she still came for me!
The dog trainer suggested turning my back on her, which wasnt very effective. She did stop eventually, but usually she wont do it thruout the whole walk, nor is it at any certain point.

I have also tried food lures and tried powering through. But she got my arm today and it really hurt

I mean, at home, she uses biting ur shoes and tugging on you to get attention to play, and if u go to get her in from garden she growls and tries to bite as if to say she hasnt had enough yet. But i make it clear on walks that im not ending her walk. I often recall her and then send her on her way.
by the way, the attacking on walks doesnt always coincide with the recall. She jus does it out of the blue

Any suggestions would be great,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >