Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 11:37 PM

Rescue Turtle

I work with a group of young people (17-18yrs old) who live independently. This evening I met with one the young people to do a housing referral and she told me that she had a turtle that she had bought at the weekend (she spent all the money she had on it). She said that it is too much hard work and she was going to release it into the sea tomorrow I explained to her that it would die if she did that and she just didn't care, said she couldn't cope with it (and she isn't allowed to have it in her accommodation). So, to cut a long story short - to save this turtle from that fate, I now have a 3 month old red eared slider turtle for the night. She gave me the tank and everything that goes with it, so I have set it up and am hoping that I have done it all right and that the turtle is ok and survives the night! I had tortoises as a child , but know very little about the keep and care of a turtle!! I have done a crash course on red eared sliders via google this evening and have also found a few places I can contact tomorrow who may be able to take this little one in. She is tiny and so beautiful and I hope that I did the right thing taking her in as I have no idea what I am doing.

I know that this is a bit of a random post - but just wanted to share/offload! I think I am doing the right thing but feel so irresponsible for taking it on and knowing nothing about what to do with it!
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2011, 07:07 AM
You aren't irresponsible, you saved the poor thing from almost certain death. I don't know anything about turtles though, sorry.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 07:36 AM
You defenitely did the right thing sorry no advice to give but hope she m,ade it through the night I don't know how near you are but what about the sealife place? Well done you for caring
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks for your replies! I think I felt irresponsible because I have no idea what I am doing and was really worried because the temperature has to be just right for them too otherwise they will die, not just a case of putting it in some water! Anyway, she made it through the night!! And she is eating too. So far so good. Got a few places that may take her in so am waiting for them to get back to me. I spent what seemed like hours just watching her this morning, fascinating creature, especially when she eats. She is really small (about the size of of one and a half 50 pence pieces) but boy is she vicious when she eats!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 05:47 PM
What do you need to know?

We have musk, map and red slider turtles at my work so I know a fair bit about them if I can help.

I can't believe the girl was going to let her into the sea though -- they are freshwater and wouldn't last 5 minutes in sea water!
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
What do you need to know?

We have musk, map and red slider turtles at my work so I know a fair bit about them if I can help.

I can't believe the girl was going to let her into the sea though -- they are freshwater and wouldn't last 5 minutes in sea water!
I know - it is shocking!!

As a side note - when I was trying to find somebody locally to take her on I (in sheer desperation) called the local RSPCA to ask them if they knew of anywhere that could take her in, after much sitting on hold and being told that this turtle is illegal to own (even I know it is not) she eventually said she didn't know what I should do and that my best bet would be to sell it in on the internet, papers or freeads

We have a 'Tortoise Garden' down here and they gave me the contact for a lady who takes Turtles in, and she can come collect the turtle tomorrow.

Thanks for your offer of advice, I think I have her sorted for the short term, got the temperature, environment and food right for her now. I had no idea how much work goes into a Turtle and how much mess they make! She/he is quite active, so I am guessing that is a good sign?? I hardly slept last night, I kept checking on it to make sure it was still alive.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Manyana13 View Post
I know - it is shocking!!

As a side note - when I was trying to find somebody locally to take her on I (in sheer desperation) called the local RSPCA to ask them if they knew of anywhere that could take her in, after much sitting on hold and being told that this turtle is illegal to own (even I know it is not) she eventually said she didn't know what I should do and that my best bet would be to sell it in on the internet, papers or freeads

We have a 'Tortoise Garden' down here and they gave me the contact for a lady who takes Turtles in, and she can come collect the turtle tomorrow.

Thanks for your offer of advice, I think I have her sorted for the short term, got the temperature, environment and food right for her now. I had no idea how much work goes into a Turtle and how much mess they make! She/he is quite active, so I am guessing that is a good sign?? I hardly slept last night, I kept checking on it to make sure it was still alive.
Ahh, great that you have found someone to take her.

They are messy little dudes but maintenance wise I wouldn't say they were much more taxing than keeping fish. Having a proper, powerful filter is the key to keeping them clean.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 09:11 AM
She is off to her new home (a lovely lady who rescues these creatures) this morning, turtle survived a second night here. She/he has really fascinated me, it has been an interesting experience!!

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Ahh, great that you have found someone to take her.

They are messy little dudes but maintenance wise I wouldn't say they were much more taxing than keeping fish. Having a proper, powerful filter is the key to keeping them clean.
I don't have a filter - which is probably why I am finding it so messy!!!