Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 01:31 PM

Spaying pre-season

Probably a silly question! Molly started her season on April 16th and is currently towards the end of a false pregnancy. She is no longer digging or carrying soft toys around, but is still quite 'saggy boobs' though not producing milk any more. I did have her booked in for spaying, but have cancelled that on vets advice. How long does it take for hormones to settle post false pregnancy? Do I have time to have her spayed before her next season? I would like to get her done, as she had mammary lumps during her season and I have been advised that she is more prone to mammary cancers and pyometra (sp?) due to her hormonal problems. She is 4, almost 5
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Hi

I think I've read that it should happen in the middle of 2 seasons.. But if she's only had one season, that aint helping much is it?

Uhm wot does your vet say?
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Hi

I think I've read that it should happen in the middle of 2 seasons.. But if she's only had one season, that aint helping much is it?

Uhm wot does your vet say?
She has had a few seasons since I have had her, gradually reducing from 11 to 7 months in between starts. I think she is sorting herself out to be the usual 6 months. Is it 3 months from beginning or end of season that spaying is ideal? Sorry to sound stupid. Am speaking to vets on Monday, was just curious and wondering if anyone else knew.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Hi
Don't know the answer but will be interested to hear what your vet says. My babe will be due her op in a couple of weeks. (3 months from start of first season) I'll be seeing the vet the early August. Want her to have a total & thorough check before the op - her litter sister died under anaesthetic. I am terrified.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 04:51 PM
She will be fine DM.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Miss Potter
Is it 3 months from beginning or end of season that spaying is ideal?
Vets usually prefer to spay 3 months after the start of the last season.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Have spoken to vets today. They would like to get her spayed ASAP due to hormonal problems and lumps etc. Also the 'saggy boobs' have subsided almost o night! She still has a little milk though. The vet says that can last for a while and it is fine to do spaying. Wish Molly luck! Operation on friday! Yikes!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Miss Potter
Have spoken to vets today. They would like to get her spayed ASAP due to hormonal problems and lumps etc. Also the 'saggy boobs' have subsided almost o night! She still has a little milk though. The vet says that can last for a while and it is fine to do spaying. Wish Molly luck! Operation on friday! Yikes!
Good luck Miss Potter , I am sure all will be ok but will have fingers crossed for you and it is just over three moths since the start of the season anyway