Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 11:49 PM

How long before you dread work?

I started a job 2 and a half weeks ago, so not long at all!

So far this is the only job I have had I can actually say I enjoy (not all the time... but most )

Question is....... how long will it be before I start to dread it? Haha. I hope that doesn't happen, but I know with most jobs it does....

Or maybe a better question, how did you feel about your job when you started and do you still enjoy it? Or how long did it take before you dreaded it?

(Last job I knew I hated on my second day - didn't go well )
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 11:58 PM
I dreaded work straight after I started. Its a thankless role but it pays Ok. I was in a hit and run and off for a few weeks a few years ago and had a rethink ofmy life. I applied for uni and got in. Soon I will have BSc in Forensic Anthropology. I want to do further study but if I cant I hope I can find another job. I am only working 14 hours a week now so its not so bad.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Two or three jobs I hated from the start. One I had for over 10 years and loved every minute of it until the management changed (passed from father to son). All the long term staff eventually gave up and left to move to other jobs.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 12:21 AM
Life is too short to work in a job that you dread unless you are unlucky enough not to have a choice.

I enjoy my work, the only jobs I have not enjoyed have been some short term ones where I knew there was an end in sight ie in school holidays.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 05:44 AM
I'm still working (tho' part time now - hours to suit me) 3 yrs after I reached retirement pension age.

So I can honestly say that, in my case, I have 'not liked' having to work for about 46 years lol!

I've had very few jobs I would describe as filling me with 'dread'. But certainly 2 or 3 that I hated and, with hindsight, wished I'd ditched sooner than I did even if I only stuck with them for 2 or 3 months.

I too used to say that life is too short to spend time doing something you hate doing but, these days, with the unemployment situation being what it is - it's not so easy for people to act on that advice.

Those who manage to find work doing something they love doing - or who can make money out of their 'hobby' are very fortunate indeed.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Most of the jobs I have had I have enjoyed aspects of them, but would have always preferred to spend time with the dogs I am so lucky that my lifestyle has changed so much, and to the extent that I can now spend loads of time with my dogs and the work I do I enjoy.

I agree, that life is too short to be in a job that you dread and also you spend so much time at work that you have to enjoy aspects of it (even if it only having a good craic with your work colleagues).

My hubby is so lucky in that he has loved his job from the moment he left school to the present day. Shepherding is more a lifestyle than a job, and he gets up every day looking forward to his work and I don't think I have ever heard him complaining about it.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
he gets up every day looking forward to his work and I don't think I have ever heard him complaining about it.
Well he wouldn't would he He has a job where contact with other humans must be minimal

I've had lots of jobs and for the last 15 years was on 'contract' (so changed every six or twelve months) in every one of them the work itself was interesting and I quite enjoy solving technical problems, what I can not stand is having to deal with humans with all their ego's, crude sense of humour, deceipt, ignorance, general laziness and me, me, me attitude.

I'm not quite as lucky as your OH but I can now work over the internet and never have to engage in direct contact with humans except for the odd phone conversation and I can keep my hours down to about ten a week which is even better
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Same here Losos (just as well as I did intend to retire early, not late, I've changed that plan to now retiring when I die!)

I think shepherding must be a lot like fishing. Having lived down in Newlyn for some years, I never met a fisherman who didn't like his job. More a 'way of life' than a job I'd say.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 12:24 PM
I never hate going to work (except the actual drive if the roads are bad LOL)

I dont have a special job, infact, it's a factory type job... however the job is interesting, I've moved up into management, and we're going places, things are changing sooo fast, I never kn ow what I'm going to walk into the next day... I've been working for them for 6.5 years, and still like going to work... not that everyone feels the same as I do there, far from it, but it's a good fit for me... now if I could get a decent raise, (and stop having gates fall on my head LOL) things would be perfect!!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
now if I could get a decent raise, (and stop having gates fall on my head LOL) things would be perfect!!!
You forgot 'not having to tell muppets a hundred times about trip hazards and safety issues'

Still, you have a remarkable approach to people and in a place like yours there must some people you'd rather not have around, or have you reached the level where you can move them around (and preferably as far away from you as possible)
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >