Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 02:50 PM

Dogs at a firework display??

i was at a huge firework display last night and was very shocked to see people with dogs there

I personally wouldnt have thought that was a very good idea as the display was ery big, very loud and lasted 25mins.

just wondered what others thought of this as im obvoiusly looking at it from my opv with a nervy dog
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 02:57 PM
I've ended up sort of at a fireworks display with Rupert. We were walking past the pub round the corner from our house just as a fireworks display started. He just plonked his butt down and stared up at the fireworks for about 10 minutes.

I wouldn't purposely take a dog to a fireworks display, not even one like Rupe who doesn't bother about them. I'd be concerned about the volume for a start!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Presumably the dogs do not mind loud noises and the owners knew that, so I would think that as long as the dogs were under control, ie leashed, then perhaps it was better taking them than leaving them alone at home.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 03:01 PM
See it is good practice I think, yet you have to know your dogs limits and the signs of stress and of course most people who take their dogs to these things aren't really that way inclined. I've seen loads of dogs just dawdling with their owners as if it was a stroll in the country - at a fireworks display.. but again - as I said it depends. I don't agree with it, but I don't entirely disagree.

I'd take Louie NEAR one, never too one though. Sadie - I'd be lucky to get her in her collar at the slightest bang. And Benjie - he differs, 1st year he hated them, the 2nd he didn't mind..
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Mine love fireworks, think its because I get them used to bangs at a very early age.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 03:55 PM
So much depends on the dog.
I still don't really know how Pepsi is going to react to fireworks but I know that Mo never took any notice at all, in fact she would just sleep through them, as she did with everything
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Parker hates fireworks if he is indoors but he is not at all bothered if he is outside and they are going off all around him. In his case it would be kinder to take him to the display than leave him inddors getting stressed and barking but of course I wouldn't do this as -

a) I wouldn't have thought dogs were allowed at displays
b) I would worry what other people would think!
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Maddie doesn't seem to care about fireworks, watches them with interest if anything, i doubt i would take her to a display, but she would be neither up nor down with it if i did.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Perhaps the dog was dear?

Anyhow there is no problem in taking dogs to firework displays if the dog enjoys them, just because some dogs freak out does not mean they all do.

And I could not care less what others think.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Mine don't bother about fireworks, I could take these if I was so minded, but I wouldn't as I don't like firework displays (old misery)

We used to have firework parties when the kids were little I had a SBT,JRT and BC that were more interested in seeing what scraps of food there were left on peoples plates than watching the fireworks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >