View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-10-2011, 04:36 PM

Are people getting 'bored' of traditional breeds?

Following on from Murfs thread, do you think people are getting a little bit bored of the traditional breeds? Perhaps explaining why some of the 'new' breeds have become popular? Along with crosses and 'designer' crosses?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Well we have had one or two posts from those who say they would never want a "popular" breed.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 04:57 PM
At the end of the day most dogs considered to be purebreds have come from more than one breed being crossed a long time ago so maybe it's just a natuiral progression and years down the line the puggles and laradoodles will be considered purebred as well
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 05:00 PM
There is soooo many different breeds that I think that reasoning is just a crock.......

To breed for no other reason apart from wanting to be 'different' says more about them than the dogs they breed.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 05:14 PM
I doubt very much if the people who get an oodle or poo because their friend or some celeb has one have any idea what the traditional breeds are.
I mean- aside from Andrex dogs and Dulux dogs what put fur on everything and give yer kids asthma and them alsations the police use that are narsty and them spotty dogs like in that kids film an snow dogs... what is there?
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I doubt very much if the people who get an oodle or poo because their friend or some celeb has one have any idea what the traditional breeds are.
I mean- aside from Andrex dogs and Dulux dogs what put fur on everything and give yer kids asthma and them alsations the police use that are narsty and them spotty dogs like in that kids film an snow dogs... what is there?
Sausage dogs lol
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Following on from Murfs thread, do you think people are getting a little bit bored of the traditional breeds? Perhaps explaining why some of the 'new' breeds have become popular? Along with crosses and 'designer' crosses?
That have always been available in rescue's,I believe they have become popular because of people wanting something different and are prepared to pay the high prices breeders are demanding.

But popularity can be a breeds downfall,take the SBT for example,more dogs than available homes, and how many are pts each week.
Popularity comes with a heavy price tag for some breeds
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Some people just can't bear to have run-of-the-mill anything, including dogs. I don't think it's just a 'designer dog' thing though.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 05:42 PM
It could be any reason, different fashions, life styles being different now and a new dog fitting the bill better then say a old working terrier breed, or it could be that the new crosses are becoming easier to get, idk, its all down to personal choice, some like traditional, some like new, some like popular, some like the rare diamond. I just like a dog, although in their own way Lurchers and Longdogs probably are traditional as they've been bred for such a long time and have a deep history, so do they count as traditional?
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-10-2011, 06:02 PM
IMO the breed selection of the dog echo's the breed selection of the human !

Ouch !
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >