Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 11:05 PM

Ox cheek

I sometimes give Jake ox cheek, he really enjoys it and it gives him a really good chew (I know dogs don't actually chew! but don't know how else to word it). I can sometimes get him beef off cuts from the butcher, but I have been having a bit of trouble getting them on a regular basis (although, I am picking up some heart for Jake tomorrow, from the same butcher that I get his liver and kidney from, so I will ask in there too).

So, I was wondering, how nutritional is ox cheek? Is it just as nutritional as beef from elsewhere on the cow? I know that might sound like such a strange question, but it's just with the ox cheek being so tough, I wasn't sure if it was too sinewy to be really nutritious. I was thinking of getting a whole load of it, so I can keep it in the freezer for when I can't get beef off cuts, but I don't want to feed it too much if it has a lot less nutritional value, when he won't be getting much other beef.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Ox cheek is a great source of protein for dogs and humans, (lovely braised) the chewiness of meat is not directly related to its nutritional value.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Ox cheek has got to be muscle meat - just like anywhere else off a cow really. It's tough because it's a muscle that gets worked a lot. IT's no more or less nutritious than fillet, which is only so tender (and tasteless if you ask me) because it's in an area that doesn't get worke like the tougher cuts such as rump or skirt.

I've never found ox cheek. If I do it will be straight in the slow cooker for me rather than the dogs. I'd give them a bit though as I'm not totally heartless. Pigs cheek is gorgeous braised with some veg.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-10-2011, 11:38 AM
I wish I could get some of these more interesting bits of animals for Teg!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
So do I Poor Pereg is mostly stuck with poultry
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks everyone I will be getting a big load of ox cheek then I do try to get the beef chunks, but being that it can be hard, ox cheek will be a great replacement!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
Have you tried your local butchers? I have made friends with 2 of mine It can be great the things you can end up with!

Originally Posted by Malka View Post
So do I Poor Pereg is mostly stuck with poultry
I had the same problem before I found a good supplier (although, I don't use them much anymore) and made friends with my local butchers